Repurposed Door Headboard

4 materials
$30
One thing that has become a staple in our bedroom is our headboard we made from a repurposed old door. When we moved into our 1880's farmhouse, we found this door in the barn on our property.
I had been looking for a symmetrical wood door to turn into a headboard so this couldn't have been more perfect! I headed to Home Depot to pick up some trim and a french cleat to hang the door on the wall.

SOURCES: All sources/materials are linked on my blog post here!
I picked up a 1"x4" piece of wood and a piece of decorative trim. These would be used to create the ledge or top of our headboard.

We then took the decorative trim and cut it to length with our miter saw. You’ll want to cut it the exact same length as your door.
Next, cut your 1″x4″ common board to the same length as your door as well.
Once both pieces are cut, lay the decorative trim flush with the side of the door, and use the common board to create a ledge, but make sure this is flush with what will be the back of your door headboard. Nail in place using a brad nailer.
Last is paint! I first painted the door in a white, then covered that with a quick and sloppy coat of graphite. Once that was dry I went back over the whole door and white washed it with white paint and water. And then used a 5-in-1 paint tool to chip the paint and reveal parts of the original door.
Because this is a very heavy piece of furniture, we opted for french cleats to hang with.
We love our headboard and the fact that we didn't have to pay big bucks for an expensive furniture set.

Don't forget to check out my blog post and all materials used here!

• Paint
  • Old Door
  • French Cleat
Hayden Scharrer

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 22 questions

Comments

2 of 87 comments
Next