Hope Williams
Hope Williams
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Young Harris, GA

My Kitchen Be GONE!

$1000
12 Months

First, I want everyone to know that I am not a blogger or writer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Also, when these pics were taken, they were for memory sake, not for a post here on Hometalk. With that cleared up front; When we bought this house, the layout and bones were Perfect! They were exactly what I had been looking for, for almost 4 months! What with all these heavy iron bars on
my kitchen be gone, entering from dining room
entering from dining room
What I saw was real wood cabinets in fantastic condition, just not enough of them.  Pic is of listing from former owner with permission.
my kitchen be gone, The Not view from dining room
The "Not" view from dining room
Here you see the 1970's back of the cabinets and an L shape countertop.  My goal was to remove these cabinets and relocate them.  Also notice the Pantry the former owners used and just beyond that is the hallway and that is a bedroom door with papers hanging on it.  That was Going away!
Again, listing photo with permission.
my kitchen be gone, Notice all doors are flat faced for now
Notice all doors are flat faced, for now.
Drop down cabinets over bar and counter removed.
my kitchen be gone
Doorway, GONE! Closed off
my kitchen be gone, Blending in bought cabinets
Blending in bought cabinets
As I mentioned, not enough cabinets, so we bought another kitchen, like ours from Tallahassee, Fl.  Had doors made to match.
my kitchen be gone, Ready for her makeup
Ready for her makeup!
Having all cabinets in place and new doors, I was ready to put the finishing touches on this kitchen.
my kitchen be gone, Top Row Done
Top Row, Done.
Here I added molding, sanded, painted and reinstalled the uppers.
my kitchen be gone, The other side of uppers
The other side of uppers.
my kitchen be gone, TA DA
TA DA!!!!
Now she's ready for company!
my kitchen be gone
Stove wall.
my kitchen be gone, Former doorway
Former doorway.
My baking station.  Notice the swing arm curtain rod, it holds all my baking needs> and I Mean all!
my kitchen be gone, Dishwasher side
Dishwasher side.
NOTE:  I made all light fixtures and curtains for bottom cabinets where I would stand for longer periods of time.
my kitchen be gone, Ahhhhhhhhh
Ahhhhhhhhh.........
This was a feat and a half to say the least.  But oh so worth every cut, blister and every tear for me.
For anyone who wants to know what took so long, Ill share a bit about myself. I am 54, disabled but very capable. But,  I got very sick during this reno.  To the point of not being able to get out of my own way!  Gained 50 lbs, and could not sleep.  Needless to say, it was my thyroid, and it just quit.   We chased it for quite some time and all is well now.  But for those of you out there that think you cant, I'm here to tell you oh yes you can.  It just takes me longer and hurts a lot more than say, 5 years ago. But I own my disabilities, they do not own me. And I will cross that finish line and I have the rest of this house (now sold), and the one we are in now (under construction) to share with you if you'd like me to.  P.S. The weight is long gone too.!

• Countertops  (locally)
  • Flooring  (I dont remember)

• Eroque022810

First,glad to hear your all well. It's also inspiring to hear that you didn't let it stop you because it came out great. So would you say you doubled it in size cause it sure looks like it. It even looks wider?

• Hope Williams

although I moved no walls, it felt 10 times bigger. It’s funny how you can create such change by removing all the middle pieces. The drop down cabinets and the ones below it were like a wall.

• Donnajgreen

What did you make the plate dividers out of?

• Hope Williams

You can buy a kit like this one. Then you just secure them one in front and one on the back. Hope this helps.

• Catherine Snow

When I saw the before, it blew me away!! Looked exactly like my kitchen and dining room before we remodeled. Didn't do an as extensive remodel as you but did change the look. What a beautiful kitchen!!!

• Hope Williams

Wow Cathrine, Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m sure yours turned out just as beautiful as mine did.

• Karen Hurst

WOW.. What a make over. You did a fantastic job. I'll be looking forward to your next post. Glad your feeling better. Stay healthy💚

• Hope Williams

Wow Karen, thank you so very much for your comment. It means a lot to me. And staying healthy is my #1 goal. I pray you the very same. 🙏🏻