Hope Williams
Hope Williams
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Young Harris, GA

My Kitchen Be GONE!

$1000
12 Months

First, I want everyone to know that I am not a blogger or writer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Also, when these pics were taken, they were for memory sake, not for a post here on Hometalk. With that cleared up front; When we bought this house, the layout and bones were Perfect! They were exactly what I had been looking for, for almost 4 months! What with all these heavy iron bars on every window, yeah, I said that. It just screamed DREAM HOME at me.
Ahhhh,, one would think this was a dicey area of town, NOT to me though. The kitchen was first on my hit list!
entering from dining room
entering from dining room
What I saw was real wood cabinets in fantastic condition, just not enough of them.  Pic is of listing from former owner with permission.
The "Not" view from dining room
The "Not" view from dining room
Here you see the 1970's back of the cabinets and an L shape countertop.  My goal was to remove these cabinets and relocate them.  Also notice the Pantry the former owners used and just beyond that is the hallway and that is a bedroom door with papers hanging on it.  That was Going away!
Again, listing photo with permission.
Notice all doors are flat faced, for now.
Drop down cabinets over bar and counter removed.
my kitchen be gone
Doorway, GONE! Closed off
Blending in bought cabinets
Blending in bought cabinets
As I mentioned, not enough cabinets, so we bought another kitchen, like ours from Tallahassee, Fl.  Had doors made to match.
Ready for her makeup!
Ready for her makeup!
Having all cabinets in place and new doors, I was ready to put the finishing touches on this kitchen.
Top Row, Done.
Top Row, Done.
Here I added molding, sanded, painted and reinstalled the uppers.
The other side of uppers.
The other side of uppers.
TA DA!!!!
TA DA!!!!
Now she's ready for company!
my kitchen be gone
Stove wall.
Former doorway.
Former doorway.
My baking station.  Notice the swing arm curtain rod, it holds all my baking needs> and I Mean all!
Dishwasher side.
Dishwasher side.
NOTE:  I made all light fixtures and curtains for bottom cabinets where I would stand for longer periods of time.
Ahhhhhhhhh.........
Ahhhhhhhhh.........
This was a feat and a half to say the least.  But oh so worth every cut, blister and every tear for me.
For anyone who wants to know what took so long, Ill share a bit about myself. I am 54, disabled but very capable. But,  I got very sick during this reno.  To the point of not being able to get out of my own way!  Gained 50 lbs, and could not sleep.  Needless to say, it was my thyroid, and it just quit.   We chased it for quite some time and all is well now.  But for those of you out there that think you cant, I'm here to tell you oh yes you can.  It just takes me longer and hurts a lot more than say, 5 years ago. But I own my disabilities, they do not own me. And I will cross that finish line and I have the rest of this house (now sold), and the one we are in now (under construction) to share with you if you'd like me to.  P.S. The weight is long gone too.!

• Countertops  (locally)
  • Flooring  (I dont remember)

• Eroque022810

First,glad to hear your all well. It's also inspiring to hear that you didn't let it stop you because it came out great. So would you say you doubled it in size cause it sure looks like it. It even looks wider?

• Hope Williams

although I moved no walls, it felt 10 times bigger. It’s funny how you can create such change by removing all the middle pieces. The drop down cabinets and the ones below it were like a wall.

• Donnajgreen

What did you make the plate dividers out of?

• Hope Williams

You can buy a kit like this one. Then you just secure them one in front and one on the back. Hope this helps.

• Kira Kristensen

How did you do the counter? Is it paint or did you put in a new counter?

• Hope Williams

Hi Kira. I think you are asking about countertops, yes?

The countertops are 24X24 porcelain tile. It is specifically made for countertops.

If you are meaning something else, please reply and I’ll get back with you.

• Karen Malpney

Absolutely beautiful job! I'm so sorry about your illness and you having to navigate through your disabilities! I'm truly happy your recent medical trial is over - I can't imagine how hard it was!

I too painted my outdated cherry kitchen cabinets white with blue island cabinets! Isn't it weird how much better your granite looked? I painted my outdated king sized sleigh bed, night stands, armoire and beautiful antique starter table (as starter pieces), mostly white and from there I was hooked! I am a 56/soon 57 yr. old women suffering with Chronic Lyme Disease (previously thought to be fibro) and all the awfulness that comes with it! BUT! I too do not let it interfere with my life of painting anything I can get my hands on and to include all the lovely things my wonderful husband retrieves for me! I have found my creative spot and one I never knew was there before and through my illness! I honestly don't know what I would do without having something to restore, paint, refurbish or re-purpose! It keeps my mind right and not focused on the pain and all that I've lost to this illness.

So I hear you and feel for you! Keep creating - it has literally saved my life!

• Hope Williams

Thank you Karen so much!

I too am happy that you too have found a way to deal with your illnesses and continue to thrive!

Be blessed and well, Hope

• Beth Parsons

I absolutely love your kitchen island!