DIY Inexpensive Lantern

$7

Here's an easy diy that you can make for yourself or give to someone special in your life. Perfect for an outdoor patio or porch in the summer or indoors anytime.

These little oil lamp inserts are the key. The ones I purchased came in as a set of three.
You need to buy lamp oil for this project. Maybe you already have some but I was only able to buy a large bottle. Way more than I needed but should last a long time. I used glass vases from the dollar store and blue gems, also from the dollar store but you could experiment with other stones and items. You could also experiment with different vessels.
The process couldn't be easier. Fill the insert with lamp oil. The top comes off so you can easily pour the oil inside. Then holding it with one hand start filling the vase with the gems. They will hold the insert in place.
How pretty is that! And it only cost a few dollars to make. This would be a great craft to make with a group of friends. That way you could all pitch in on the supplies, like the lamp oil, which is more than one person needs. Alternatively, this could be a great shower or event piece where you could make many of them at once for a pretty low cost.

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Patti @Hearth and Vine

• Rachel

love this, but does the glass vessels get hot & break?

• Krafty Mrs.K

Having done some glass work, I bet the lamp inserts are made from a sturdier glass like they use lab equipment ( test tubes and beakers). It will take the heat fine. And what will break the glass jewels and thinner containers would be a cold blast of air or water while the glass was hot. I suspect only the edge nearest the flame get hot.

• Chris Sprada-Klaffka

Hello.. Absolutely Love this, Beautiful and Amazing..

Where do I Buy the inserts for The Oil?

Thank You

• Jessedean

Where did you buy the oil lamp inserts 3 in a package from & how much were they?