Michelle
Michelle
  • Holland, MI

Lath Accent Wall

$30

DIY a boring wall and give it a pop of color without spending a ton of money. You can easily create an accent wall with lath and a little imagination.
After! The project took less than 2 bundles of lath to complete. I only had to purchase 1 bundle because I had a bundle on hand from other projects. The wall is 5.5' wide and & 7.5' high. I am happy with the end result.
The bundles of lath come from Lowes like this. I would highly recommend getting them from Lowes. The bundles at Menards are flimsy and break easily. The quality just isn't there!
This was the wall before. It is at the top of our stairs leading to the bedrooms. Also, when you walk in our front door it is one of the first things that gets noticed. So I wanted to do something fun with it.
The most tedious part of this project was taking the boards and individually painting them. I did not take any pictures of this part of the project. But this is where your own creativity comes in. You could easily stain them all or even just paint them a simple color. For my project I stained some, left a majority natural, and used paint colors I had on hand to add colors to different ones.
I put a few dots of the Loctite on each board to hold them in place and then nailed them in. I used the miter saw to make the cuts. This was a simple process.
Another picture of the finished wall!
This is the other side of the wall. It was impossible to get a picture of the entire wall because it is at the top of our stairs and the banister was in the way.

• Scooter Boo

I love the wall! Also, is that a wood hand rail on the right hand side? I would love a closer look!

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Donna
    • Michelle

Hi Djbakins. yes it is a tree branch that I just sanded and put mineral spirits on. It is bout 13 feet long.
  • Mary M

I SO want to this. On the material list it says garden stakes and nails? We're the stakes the lathes? And you have to glue and nail? Tks. The wall is beautiful!

• Tina

Outstanding!!! I have been wanting to do this for a long time but I never thought about laths! wow thanks for the tip!

• Dorian Hinesly

The pictures show 2" wide boards, and I don't think those are 1" thick. I don't think they are the same thing as in the materials list. Clarify please? I really want to do this project and have the perfect wall for it!

• Dorian Hinesly

Thanks very much! I can't wait to get started, and I think I have almost all of the colors I want to use!

• MagnoliaMemories

Fabulous wall Michelle! Great accent and you executed it beautifully! Thank you so much for sharing this great tutorial!

• Pat S.

Great wall !!! This wood make a nice headboard !!!!