Painted Chair With a Twist!

I always wondered about painting upholstered fabric, and after seeing a few ideas on here, I'm hopped on to take a ride! I love to paint... ANYTHING! I paint cakes, people, and now I'm kinda hooked on painting furniture! Two chairs for my house, two chairs to sell! P.S. we've been sitting on the religiously and the paint is holding up beautifully!
painted chair with a twist, chalk paint, painted furniture
So I bought 4 chairs that had great bones but the fabric just didn't work for me...
I used homemade chalk paint and fabric medium to "white out" all of it and leave myself with a blank canvas so to speak
Then the fun began! My oldest daughter wants a shark week bedroom so chair #1 got a wait for it....... SHARK!!!!
A few coats of finishing wax and viola! After all was said and done I was soo excited I just kept going!
One to match my bedroom!
And two to sell!

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/TakeTwo719

• Sue Fawdry Fleming

Could you please tell me how you painted the upholstery to look like leather? Thank you so much.

• I used latex paint with a bit of plaster of paris and fabric medium mixed in. I did spray the fabric with water first to allow the paint to absorb easier. After it dried is used furniture wax to seal it all in. If I can be of any other help please let me know.

• Barbara

How much latex paint and how much plaster of paris did you add to the fabric medium?

• Keemee

I'm floored!!!! When I first saw the peacock chair I was wondering where you found that fabric. Wow!!!! These pieces are great!! Thank you for sharing this with us. Guess what my next project will be?😁

• Dre

What is fabric medium ? Does it have a purpose other than for giving a blank canvas? Do you buy at arts/craft store or fabric store? Did you apply one coat? Did you let it dry overnight? I'm curious if I can use this to hide ugly patterns on thrift finds since I've seen people paint fabric and you can still see the pattern underneath. Thanks for sharing?

• Fabric meduim can be found with the craft paint at a craft store. It helps the paint stay elastic so that it doesn't crack during use. I did more than one coat allowing time to dry in between coats. The plaster of paris helps it coat faster. I wasn't sure about how well I would like it but 3 of the chairs get daily use in my home and are holding up great. The 4th broke it's leg in a terrible accident lol so it has actually been relocated to the garden, leg replaced with a pot that I'm going to plant in and has still help up in the elements! I think I answered everything but if not just let me know!

• Petnursepolly16403

I bought my medium from Joann Fabrics, but I had to ask for it. I did sofa cushions, that have held up for 2 years so far.

• Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

I use the peacock chair daily and it still looks great!

• Sandra Sandy Hibbs

I can't find fabric medium anywhere !!!

• Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

I buy mine at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, I think I've even found it at Wal-Mart. Check by the acrylic paints.

• Cathy Jespersen

I found mine on Amazon.com

• Cathy Jespersen

Other sources for fabric medium are: Jo-Ann Fabrics ; joann.com, Michaels and Walmart has the Martha Stewart brand. You can also do a Google search on "fabric medium near me". Good luck!

• Barbara

What ratio of Latex paint, plaster of paris and fabric medium did you use?

• Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

About 1/4 C each plaster and fabric medium. If I found it thickrneing while using I just diluted it a bit with water! I hope this helps!

• Anna

Can you please,tell what paints did you use and what sequence. I'm a little confused,about it .I bought chairs in goodwill store .like them but they have white shanel fabric on it it's stained and I have little kids it will be stained even more .I like your concept .i want paint them to different color and that will be waterproof I hope.what do I need to do?
    • Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

I lightly wet the fabric with water from a spray bottle and then painted them with a mixture of latex paint (I used the little sample sizes, you can also use acrylic paint) a bit of plaster of Paris and a squirt of fabric medium. Im sorry I never measure lol! You want the mixture to be sturdy but easily painted with so not too thick. Hope this helps!
    • Pappyand Nanny Wilson

What is fabric medium....I'm green here!!...lol

• Rosie

Yes, I am inspired. Do they feel sticky, after drying? Thank you.

• Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

No after I waxed them they feel kind of like a soft leather. I have plans to do this on outdoor furniture now that I know how well it holds up in the elements!

• Kathrine Jones

What wax do you use to seal the paint?

• Joanne Lewis

I don't have a question. I just wanted to say how much I love the Peacock chair. Peacocks represent my mom for me, and she is no longer here, so when I saw that chair, I fell in love. Now, I will be looking for a chair to change into your beautiful idea. Thank you for sharing! Joanne
  • Steph knepper

Won’t it crack after sitting on it??

• Kimberly Bettendorf-Garcia

The fabric portion of the chairs still look great. If I would change anything after several years of use, I would have used enamel on the arms instead of chalk paint.