Thrifty, DIY Outdoor Fan Makeover

Our back porch outdoor fan/light fixture was badly in need of some TLC. So I took some paint and primer and updated it, making it look like new again. I encountered some pitfalls, though, which I explain how to avoid. Check out the post url for all the deets.
Here's a sneak peek at the "After." It involved Rust-Oleum primer and oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.
Here's what the fixture looked like before. It was dirty, rusty and dated.
I took off the fan blades (one broke in the process, grrrrr), gave the whole thing a good scrubbing, then used sandpaper and steel wool to remove any visible rust spots.
Because I broke a fan blade, I had to use different fan blades (taken from an old fan in our basement). I redid the holes and stained the blades to match the vision in my head. If you're planning a project like this, I would recommend using the same fan blades and painting them if possible. I have a faux wood grain technique I love to use (search for it on my blog for instructions) that will make any surface look just like real wood.
After attaching the "new" blades and hanging the fixture, it looks like I bought a whole new fan! I love the look, although I did encounter a few problems along the way that I explain how to avoid. Check out the post for all the details.

Living Rich on Less - Susan

• Sheryll S

What a fabulous job. I have the Martha Stewart Paint Finish Tool Kit and I would love to do my front door... but I am not so sure I could do around the glass oval. Any experience with a long oval glass insert?

• Robyn R

What did you use to cover the vents before spraying, so it would cover the whole thing.