Paint Strippers-I want to strip a couple of small pieces of furniture.

+10
I have allergies and asthma but I want to strip a couple of small pieces of furniture. What brand or even a homemade mixture is best to use when you have respiratory issues. I do not want to end up in the emergency room just because I want something back to the real wood.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Feb 06, 2018
    Hi there, the "gentlest" paint stripper on the market is called citrastrip. Otherwise, you could consider investing in a really good face mask.
  • Sharon Sharon on Feb 06, 2018
    Wear a good respirator. Go to True Value or home store and tell them you need a good one cause you have respiratory problems.
    • Mzb31251237 Mzb31251237 on Feb 07, 2018
      I have already accepted the fact I will need to do that but really wanted to avoid it since I am doing it outside. I will go to True Value and check one out though since there is one close by.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 06, 2018
    Citristrip
      Thank you from the responses I am going to buy it, wait for the snow to melt, warmer temps then get it done.
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Feb 06, 2018
    The citrus stripper seems to work very well along with the proper respiratory mask. Stay safe. Best of luck.
      The project is important to me, one of the very few things I have from my deceased dad so I want to do it right. Thank you for your help.
  • Emily Emily on Feb 06, 2018
    You could use a heat gun to melt the paint. Use a respirator mask and do the work outside.

• AJ AJ on Feb 06, 2018
    After using the Citristrip on a couple of DIY projects, I highly recommend it for your project. Found the claims on the container to be totally true: "Safe for indoor use, no harsh fumes, strips multiple layers." Suggest you check out the product details at http://www.citristrip.com/.

Best wishes!
    • See 1 previous
    • AJ AJ on Feb 08, 2018
      Mzbear9, glad the detailed info provided helped you out! Wishing you a totally enjoyable (and fume-free) DIY project!