Landscaping Project

Landscaping Project for picnic tables. I was tired of moving the picnic tables every time I had to mow. So, I came up with this project. It's easy to do and beautiful.
Step 1-Pick your area and outline with a garden hose. My black hose was very flexible and perfect for the job. My squiggly edging I call it Lagoonin.
Step 2-A flat headed shovel. ( I have a magic shovel its doing it by itself. loling! )
Step 3-A close up. This shovel was left here when we moved in 16 years ago. My favorite landscaping tool EVER!!!!!!!!
Step 4-I dug straight down about 3 inches all along the outer hose. I know you can't see it but it's there. The deeper you go the less weeds will grow.
Step 5-Then I made a very small trench of the line I just made in pic 4.
Step 6-Start shoveling the grass up. You have to get real low, dig into the grass, lift, repeat.
Step 7-Almost done!
Step 8-I raked and leveled it with a hard rake. ALL DONE, shoveling that is.
Step 9-Lay your mulch down. I wore gloves, it's very messy while laying it down. Now your ALL DONE! And this is why I LOVE Landscaping. A child's wooden picnic table is going right in the middle.
10-part A-Here is the beginning of the 2 picnic table area. I did this area before I did the child picnic table area. Yes, my inspiration!
10-part B-Here is the other half of part A. It was a good size area.
10-part c-2 picnic table area. Mulch half way done. I don't have a finished photo but I think you get the idea of it finished.
11-More Lagoonin edging. I did this area the year after. My rose of Sharon, day lily and big ole frog with a sunflower umbrella. It's beautiful when the rose of Sharon blooms at the end of July.
12-My last photo. Rubber mulch around the above ground pool. My next project will be to paint or stain the picnic tables. Hope you enjoyed my step by step instructions. Happy Landscaping!

25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season

• Joanne Cole
    Joanne Cole

Does the grass and the weeds know it is not supposed to cross that line? If so I need to know what kind of grass you put down.

• Barb Dean
      Barb Dean

I have rocks now, but used to use mulch. Dirt gets blown/carried into rock area or pushed up by ants or pocket gophers. Once dirt gets between landscape fabric, plastic, newspaper or whatever you lay under your mulch or rocks, weeds or grass can grow because birds drop a variety of seeds into the area. I spray mine - usually with a vinegar solution or bleach but don't get it on plants you want to keep.

• Jamison
    Jamison

a. Why did you not use a black liner for weed rejection before you put down the mulch chips? and why would you recommend rubber mulch? Probably not good for my dogs to chew on-which of course they will....?

• Barb Dean
      Barb Dean

Landscape fabric (black week control fabric) sometimes tends to work better in areas in which you don't want plants to grow. For me, that's depended on the type of fabric I've used.

I have an area of rubber mulch and get a lot less weeds than I do in the area covered by river rock. Our dog went over the rainbow bridge 3 yrs ago, but she never did try to eat the rubber mulch. She would, however, sometimes chew on wood mulch if she could get hold of it.

• M
    M

Does vinegar kill thistle weed? I have that and read that the roots can be 10-ftt or deeper, and it pops up everywhere. I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole in my yard! It's in the gardens, then a patch in the grass .... and those tiny needles along the stems make it impossible for me to even attempt to pull it out (which is another thing I've read not to do, as it encourages more growth). It is the bane of my existence. Any suggestions out there that *work* ??