Landscaping Project

Landscaping Project for picnic tables. I was tired of moving the picnic tables every time I had to mow. So, I came up with this project. It's easy to do and beautiful.
Step 1-Pick your area and outline with a garden hose. My black hose was very flexible and perfect for the job. My squiggly edging I call it Lagoonin.
Step 2-A flat headed shovel. ( I have a magic shovel its doing it by itself. loling! )
Step 3-A close up. This shovel was left here when we moved in 16 years ago. My favorite landscaping tool EVER!!!!!!!!
Step 4-I dug straight down about 3 inches all along the outer hose. I know you can't see it but it's there. The deeper you go the less weeds will grow.
Step 5-Then I made a very small trench of the line I just made in pic 4.
Step 6-Start shoveling the grass up. You have to get real low, dig into the grass, lift, repeat.
Step 7-Almost done!
Step 8-I raked and leveled it with a hard rake. ALL DONE, shoveling that is.
Step 9-Lay your mulch down. I wore gloves, it's very messy while laying it down. Now your ALL DONE! And this is why I LOVE Landscaping. A child's wooden picnic table is going right in the middle.
10-part A-Here is the beginning of the 2 picnic table area. I did this area before I did the child picnic table area. Yes, my inspiration!
10-part B-Here is the other half of part A. It was a good size area.
10-part c-2 picnic table area. Mulch half way done. I don't have a finished photo but I think you get the idea of it finished.
11-More Lagoonin edging. I did this area the year after. My rose of Sharon, day lily and big ole frog with a sunflower umbrella. It's beautiful when the rose of Sharon blooms at the end of July.
12-My last photo. Rubber mulch around the above ground pool. My next project will be to paint or stain the picnic tables. Hope you enjoyed my step by step instructions. Happy Landscaping!

• Carmel Madden

Omg you done a super job how long did it take you,,,I love the garden,but I have osteoporosis arthritis in my joints very painful but I dnt let it stop me,,,my garden is my pride and joy,but seeing your puts mine to shame

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner

This project took me less than one day. I'd love to see photos of your garden. I'm working on a space to put a swim spa. Under my DIY 1/2 pergola between my unattached garage and house. The perfect space. And I have grapevines growing in front of it. Beautiful big leaves! Thank You so much Carmel for the awesome comment.

• Joanne Cole

Does the grass and the weeds know it is not supposed to cross that line? If so I need to know what kind of grass you put down.

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner

Touchedpainter, what a good idea! Thank you for commenting. I truly do love landscaping and will try your idea when I pull up my Recroom carpeting. = )

• Jamison

a. Why did you not use a black liner for weed rejection before you put down the mulch chips? and why would you recommend rubber mulch? Probably not good for my dogs to chew on-which of course they will....?

• RC Leach

Maybe she didn't know your dogs were coming over for snacks.

• Melody Drinkwater Wagner

I know. I have tried landscaping fabric, newspaper, card board boxes etc....weeds grow right through it all. So I pull weeds as I go. And the birds and wind do drop seeds every where. I had squash growing on the side of my house when I didn't plant them. It was quite the nice surprise. Lovin my squash!

• Bettybusby18

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.