Old ornate frame gets a new life as a elegant earring display.

I found this wooden gold tone frame at an antique store. It was only $2.00. Even though some of the design was missing in the top right corner, I knew that wouldn't matter much once I was done.
I had seen framed earring holders with lace before and knew this would be the perfect candidate for this project.
Here is the before picture. Good bones on this piece.
I painted it a light cocoa color with homemade chalk paint.
Then a cream coat of more homemade chalk paint. The cocoa stands out just enough to give it some depth. Then I sealed it with Mod Podge.
I used a cardboard box for the backing. Cut to fit then used it as a template for the batting and burlap. I cut the burlap about 1" larger all the way around. Adhered the batting to the cardboard with spray glue to eliminate shifting.
I used painters tape to hold it all in place.
This was the exciting part for me to see it all coming together. I played with the lace to ensure correct spacing and placement.
Flipped it over, penciled in where I wanted each row to go. I made sure it was nice and tight prior to stapling. Most of the ones I have seen online were sagging and I don't like that look.
I cut the lace down and left an inch overhang, then I just taped them down.
I deconstructed a paper bag for the backing. I used the spray glue to adhere it and quick grab glue along the edges.
I had every intention of selling this piece but I love it so much I am keeping it for myself.

• Darla

This is so beautiful. Elegant for just a little money, and your time. FYI, if you lightly spray the brown paper bag backing it will shrink and tighten up a bit when it dries. It's beautiful. Just thought of another tip. You can use clay for a model and copy from the left side, the piece that is missing from the right. Press the clay over the part you want to reproduce. Using that as your mold, mix a bit of Plaster of Paris and pour it into the mold. You will have a replica of the missing piece and when it dries you can glue it on the right side. OR, leave it as is, for a "period" piece.

• CraftyMcDaniel

Thank you. Ohh I like that shrink idea, I didn't even know about that! I thought about fixing it but I kinda like the fact that it shows it's "been around the block".

• Irish53

great idea and so easy to do.