Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie
  • Manahawkin, NJ

EndTable Facelift...

$40

I picked up these gorgeous end tables because.. of, uh, THAT DETAIL! I saw so much potential in them.
endtable facelift
I started by cleaning the tables with a mix of water and TSP. To get into the grooves, a soft toothbrush was used. A water only wipe down followed the cleaning.
endtable facelift
Next, I sanded them with a 220 sanding pad to scuff up the surface a bit. wiped them down to remove all the dust. Then I applied one coat of Heirloom Traditions All in One Paint in manor house to the base. I knew I wanted these to be two tone. Heirloom Traditions has a built in primer and top coat.. So awesome!
endtable facelift
after a few coats of manor house, I applied 2 coats of cathedral by heirloom traditions all in one paint.
endtable facelift
I forgot to take a pic of the tables before I added glaze and only after distressing.. but this is a pic of the distressing. I LOVE distressing. I used a textured, damp cloth to distress most of the piece. I like how it gives you more control of the depth of the sanding. For this piece in the pic, I went over it with a sanding block. You can kind of see the two tones in there if you look closely.
endtable facelift
Next, I added glaze. Now normally, You would want to seal your piece because if you are using chalk paint, it is very porous and will soak up your glaze and not let it be easily manipulated and wiped away. But for this piece, I waited a day and then added the glaze bc of the top coat properties in the paint I used. I used Heirloom Traditions Antiquing gel in weathered wood. This gel is great because it is also self sealing. It is thick so you apply it and then wipe it back. And it gets stuck right in the crevices. PERFECTION.
endtable facelift
I wanted to add some sort of texture to the top by way of design so I just did a manor house dry brush and used a wet rag to drag and blend that color into the darker grey.
endtable facelift
Here is the end result of that. You can also see some of the distressing on the sides here.
endtable facelift
The grey is the glaze... adds depth, in my opinion and also makes the details pop.
endtable facelift
I went over the top of these in General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in Satin because for table tops, I like the added protection.
endtable facelift
The completed table! I call them Jenny And Jane

• Linda

Why did you not use General Finish paint and stain? Is the other brand better?

• Helen Leming

What was the paint you used on the top ? Was it a stain or chalk paint ?

• Lisa Marie

Heirloom traditions paint in cathedral and I applied the white over it as a dry brush and wiped back.

• Sarah

Can you paint a dining table the same way you did your end table?

• AstaCalta

No question, just wanted to say how much I love these tables. I'm not usually a fan of painted furniture but you hit this one out of the park!

• Carol Cole

I really love these, they are beautiful. You did a great job on them.