Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie
  • Manahawkin, NJ

Ornate Mirror Gets an Updated Look

$30

Mirror are my absolute favorite thing to refinish. I guess because of all that detail.. thats what draws me to them.
ornate mirror gets an updated look
cleaning an ornate mirror takes so much time. I use a can of air first to get the dust off. then a very soft toothbrush to get into the details. then spray it again. then a light wipe down of water.. that's what I do (most times)! what do you do?
ornate mirror gets an updated look
taped off this mirror.. but another good idea I have used in the past is to use those paint cards you get in the paint department and stick them all around. works really well!
ornate mirror gets an updated look
2 coats of heirloom traditions cobblestone paint. wait a day for that to really dry... followed by a quick coat of general finishes high performance top coat because glazing was next.
ornate mirror gets an updated look
general finishes pitch black glaze was applied. I entered their design challenge last year and I ended up coming up as a winner of some prizes. yay! so anyway, moving on... I usually use a chip brush to apply my glazed because im kind of rough with it and I like to really push it into the crevices. as you can see here, it's covered. next step is to wipe it back with a clean cloth.
ornate mirror gets an updated look
Wow! LOOK AT THAT DETAIL and how it just pops now!?
ornate mirror gets an updated look
another example
ornate mirror gets an updated look
with the glaze applied...
ornate mirror gets an updated look
I sealed again using the same top coat by general finishes... then I used silver metallic wax to go over the finished product - I just applied some to my finger and basically just dragged it across the mirror. all of the raised areas would pick it up.
ornate mirror gets an updated look
Final Result!

• Donna Gillet

Hi beautiful. I don't see the can of air you mention listed.Can you say more about it, please?

• Rory McBean

Canned air is a great product to have, not just for keyboards and ornate furniture; I have used canned air to get rid of dust on silk flowers and old figurines that have not been thoroughly cleaned in years.

• Jan Berry

General Finishes High Performance Topcoat comes in different finishes, from flat to high gloss. Which one did you use? Could add the link to that?