ChickFix
ChickFix
  • Canton, GA

How to Correct Your Oven's Temperature

$8

Have you ever noticed that food cooked in your oven comes out overcooked or undercooked, even though you followed the directions perfectly? It's quite possible that your oven isn't baking at the right temperature! Whether your oven is gas or electric, or has knobs or a digital display, calibrating it is easy!
how to correct your oven s temperature
STEP 1: Purchase an oven thermometer, which can be found for less than $10 at most grocery stores and home improvement stores.
how to correct your oven s temperature
STEP 2: Set your oven to 350 degrees
how to correct your oven s temperature
STEP 3: Place the oven thermometer in the oven, and wait 15-20, or until the oven preheat procedure is complete.
how to correct your oven s temperature
STEP 4: Check the oven thermometer and determine the actual temperature inside your oven. If it does not read 350 degrees, subtract the two numbers from each other to determine how far off the oven is, and in which direction. (My thermometer came out at 420 degrees -- 70 degrees too hot!)
how to correct your oven s temperature
FOR OVENS WITH MANUAL DIALS/KNOBS:

Pull off the oven temperature control knob, and look on the back. There should be a small dial to adjust the knob to make the oven hotter or cooler. You may need to use a screwdriver to loosen and adjust the dial.
how to correct your oven s temperature
Place the thermometer back into the oven, and set to 350 degrees. Wait another 15-20 minutes to allow the oven to preheat fully.
how to correct your oven s temperature
Remove the thermometer and check the temperature. You may need to repeat the process a couple of times to get the temperature just right. (Mine took three tries!)
FOR OVENS WITH DIGITAL CONTROL PANELS:

The calibration procedure may vary a bit from brand to brand. You can find instructions in your owner's manual, or visit the manufacturer's website.

For a GE oven, the process is as follows:
1. Press the "Bake" and "Broil" button at the same time until "SF" appears on the control panel.
2. Press the "Bake" button again until "00" appears on the control panel.
3. Use the up-and-down arrows to adjust the temperature accordingly.
4. Press the "Start" button to save your changes.

how to correct your oven s temperature
FOR OVENS WITH A DIGITAL CONTROL PANEL:

Calibration procedures may vary a bit from oven to oven. You can find the procedure specific to your particular oven in your owner's manual, or by visiting the manufacturer's website.

For a GE oven:
1. Press "Bake" and "Broil" at the same time until "SF" appears on the display.
2. Press "Bake" again until "00" appears on the display.
3. Use the up and down arrows to adjust the temperature accordingly.
4. Press "Start" to save your changes.

• Lillie Gillespie

Will this work on a convection /bake LG oven?

• ChickFix

Yes I believe so. You may need to check your oven's manual to get instructions specific to your model, but you should be able to calibrate it.

• Lillie Gillespie

• Cindy Luna

I guess my oven is too old. It is digital but when I press the two buttons it just goes back to the time again. Any instructions for this case scenario? Cindy

• GloryB

Look online for your oven model and year. You can find most manuals for most things online.

• Von

Wow.. you have answered my concern about the temperature in my oven. I will be checking my oven today

• Hlpinghand

Holey Whockamoley! I had no idea this could be done! If I had known this years ago, I could have saved soooooo much money spent on packaged baked goods that ended up being incinerated! Thank you, thank you, and thank you again!