Thrift Shop Armchair Makeover

123 Views
I found this chair at a garage sale type of group on Facebook and started flirting with going on the crazy DIY adventure and learn how to reupholster a Victorian armchair. The price was great and the condition of the chair was pretty good. I fell in love with the curves and details of the frame. However, I did not like the fabric and colors. Simply not my style. So I decided she needed to undergo a makeover. It took about 4 days because I worked on it a couple of hours each day.
This is how it looked before.

Some people, including some pros, just upholster over the old fabric. YES, it’s a hell lot easier that way. However, in most cases, I get a terrible eeeckkk factor because the fabric simply reeks! So in general, I prefer to remove everything. And that's exactly what I did here.
Time: 4 DaysCost: $90Difficulty: Advanced
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
If you'd like to see a step by step tutorial visit the link you'll find below.

• thrift shop armchair makeover
This is how it looked before. I started by removing all of the fabric.
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
I then removed most of the staples as you need that space for the new staples. Then I primed the frame of the chair with a thin layer of homemade, white chalk paint.
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
And then I started painting the frame.
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
I let it dry overnight and then started upholstering
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
I used a combination of fabrics. A type of white suede in the front and a textured gray fabric on the back. and sides
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
And this is what I ended up with
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
  • thrift shop armchair makeover
If you'd like to see a step by step, very detailed tutorial visit the link you'll find below.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Acrylic paint  (crafts supplies shop)
  • Fabric  (Fabric shop)

Ask a Question