Asked on Feb 8, 2018

Best way to fill cracks in driveway - they are dangerous

LeahWilliamEbbjdl
+7

The cracks are wide (appx 1"} some are raised as well. Any advice would be most helpful

• Ken
    Ken

Driveways are not all made of the same material. Assume that yours is blacktop? Home improvement stores sell blacktop patch. Reviews say a pail does not go very far, but maybe you don't need a lot. They would also sell a tamper, but it's hard to imagine why your driveway is raised and whether a tamper would help.

Not being able to see your driveway I would think that the best bet is to have someone see it. You likely are not ready to replace at this time but a driveway installer also does maintenance and he/she will be able to give advice better than we can, including how you can fix it yourself.
  • Leah
    Leah

I think you should dig out the raised spots and patch with Brewer for asphault. That is what they do for lot holes in roads.
    • Glc17974238
      Glc17974238

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I should have stated that I am working with a concrete driveway
    William

Concrete or asphalt?
  • Le'
    Le'

Yes, speak with a concrete person.....they have a substance for that purpose and for raising already set concrete to a higher level.....Called a skimmer (or something?)
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

If it is asphalt, there is a product available which comes in an caulking type tube which can be put into the cracks and smoothed off as you proceed with a metal or plastic spreader. It is best to do this on a warm day so then filler runs down into the crack If it is concrete, there is also a compound available for that too. Try your hardware store.
  • Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

How many cracks do you have? Have it paved over, it's your best option. If you try to repair it yourself, it will be peace meal. If you have it done you'll get some guarantee. It will look nice.
    William

Fill the cracks with caulking made for concrete. Then you can use a polymer resurfacing compound to smooth and level the driveway.

• Leah
    Leah

I figured you were working with concrete. Road crews still do this. Cold asphalt will bind to the concrete.