Concrete Fire Bowl

232 Views
I've been looking at DIY fire pits and fire bowls for some time now because the store bought one we have is on it's last legs and requires wood which is not always easily acquired. So when super hubby bought a large bag of concrete for another project and didn't use all of it, I literally pounced on the remaines!
Time: 2 DaysCost: $15Difficulty: Medium
  • concrete fire bowl
So I started out with some cheap bowls from the Dollar Tree, petroleum jelly, a bucket, a paint stirrer, wire mesh and sterno.
I coated the inside of the large bowl and the outside of the smaller bowl with petroleum jelly. Then mixed up the concrete in bucket using ABOUT a 5:1 ratio. It should look like a really thick batter.
  • concrete fire bowl
Then I poured the concrete in the large bowl and placed the small bowl in the center after tapping on sides of the bowl to remove air bubbles. Fyi, if you forget this step, the concrete will weaken and crumble later. I weighed down the small bowl with a paint can and left it to cure for 48 hours.
  • concrete fire bowl
Next, I cut out wire mesh to surround the sterno can. I did this because the tutorial that inspired me used gravel around the can to keep it place but I found a bag of play sand in the garage and wound up using that (worked out fine.) I also cut out some wire mesh to go on top of the sterno inside the concrete bowl.
I placed the sterno inside the bowl and surrounded it with sand. Then I placed the wire mesh on top and covered it with flatt glass marbles I had leftover from another project.
  • concrete fire bowl
Here it is, lit up on the patio table! It's a little hard to see flame but it works great! I love it. What are you making to keep warm?

Suggested materials for this project:

• Quickcrete  (Lowe's)
  • Bowls  (Dollar Tree)
  • Petroleum jelly  (Dollar Tree)

Ask a Question