How can I get rid of the rats and not hurt the squirrels?

+5
HI Everyone.... Help please, I need to get rid of the rats in my yard. My neighbors have fruit trees and they are attracting the rats ;-( But I don't want to use anything that will hurt the squirrels. I really love the squirrels! So does anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of the rats without hurting the squirrels? Thank you so much.

• No kill traps are what we use, and bait with dollar store peanut butter. We have the same problem. I have 3 fig trees, lemon and lime, neighbors have grapefruit and apricots, peaches, oranges, apples. We have a lot of possums and raccoons too. And we all have pets. We take them about 7 miles up the road and release where they have access to water, but no houses around.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Feb 09, 2018
    Squirrels are nothing but a cute rat! They can do as much damage any rat! Here is the definition of a Squirrel:

"Squirrels are members of the family Sciuridae, a family that includes small or medium-size rodents. The squirrel family includes tree squirrels, groundsquirrels, chipmunks, marmots (including woodchucks), flying squirrels, and prairie dogs amongst other rodents."
  • Kay Kay on Feb 09, 2018
    That's an easy one. Get one or 2 outdoor cats. They cannot be indoor/outdoor cats or they'll be too spoiled and lazy to be much good as a predator. Get the cat/s as kittens about 2 months old so they will tend to stay close in your yard. Do NOT overfeed them. Let them do what nature intended for them to do. I'm jus sayin...
  • Allison MacKay Allison MacKay on Feb 09, 2018
    Cats need to be cared for not exploited.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 09, 2018
    squirrels won't eat rat bait -- but dogs/cats may eat the slow moving dying rat ... and then you have dead rat + dead pet. Traps may be your best option in an uncontrolled area like that --but baiting will be difficult with a ready food source available -- not likely to take ANY bait --
  • R.lewis0309 R.lewis0309 on Feb 14, 2018
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I really Appreciate your help
  • Liv Liv on Mar 23, 2018
    Rats don't like mint
  • Betsy Betsy on Sep 23, 2018

Hi R. Ask your neighbours to clean up the fallen fruit, and if they won't, call the city ordinance department to see if they can do anything. Feed your squirrels early in the day, where you can see them eat, and after a while, before dark, pick up anything they have left, and any cat or dog food in your yard so the rats don't visit. Good luck.