Asked on Feb 9, 2018

How can I decorate empty canned vegetable cans

KayLisa S.DesertRose
+8

Would like to somehow decorate empty vegetable or fruit cans for childrens pencil holders.

• Jill Ron Pike
    Jill Ron Pike

Washi tape, different patterned duct tape, paint, markers....many projects on this site for those cans! Just be wary of any sharp edges on can , and cover well
    Janet Pizaro

use scrapbook paper
  • Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

Wrap with heavy weight decorative card stock...apply with hot glue. Wrap with stick on vinyl. spray paint vibrant colors. Wrap with wallpaper.
  • Evonne mead
    Evonne mead

Paint them, glue yarn, string or fabric to them, or use construction paper and papier-mâché them
  • Dh_21085920
    Dh_21085920

Wallpaper is great for this! You can also decoupage old greeting cards, the newspaper's funny paper, or other colorful paper onto the cans using Gesso or Elmer's glue to glue them onto the can and them put a coating over them to keep the edges down.
  • DesertRose
    DesertRose

There are many choices now for contact paper. It can be cut to any size, has markings on the back to help guide you to cut straight and the size you need, and the back peels off so the decorated part can be joined to the can. It is great stuff and fairly easy to apply. Have you looked for some in a department store or store that carries hobby and craft materials? I buy ours at Walmart.
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Cover with fabric scarps.
  • Kay
    Kay

Hi Sflaherty, you can use contact paper or vinal wallpaper. Contact allso, comes in schooll book patterns to! Get the children to choose what pattern they what on there tin. The best thing about this is, you can wipe the tins over should any thing spill on them. I think this is @ much cheeper way than using washi tape, if you are doing several tins. You can allso remove it should the children get tired of the pattern. Give the tins @ good wash beforehand @ dry them well. I would let them air dry for abit to! Re garding the edges of the tins, I woud give them a light sand to make sure they are not sharp to! Hope these idea's are helpful Kay Adelaide Australia 😎