How do you get rid of or kill off a bleeding heart vine

+18
We live in Fla, 20 years ago my dad planted a bleeding heart plant which he thought would grow into a bush like they did in Pa. well it is a tuber type plant that has taken over. We cut it all the way down, poured Clorox on it, gas, tried to dig it out, all to have ti grow back. Help. We really don’t like this invader.
q how do you get rid of or kill off a bleeding heart vine
  • Linda Linda on Feb 10, 2018
    Have you tried Round up? It killed everything in my yard when someone used it accidentally.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 10, 2018
    Cut the vine down close to the ground. use a paint brush to paint a strong weed killer on the fresh cut. This will allow the chemical to get down to the root quicker and more efficiently than spraying it onto the leaves. Let it sit, if it doesn't die, make a fresh cut and repeat until it does finally get to all the roots and the tuber. If all else fails, dig down to the tuber, make a cut in it and paint the cut so it gets directly into the tuber. It took me a long time, but I did this to a wild grape trunk that was huge and right by the neighbors lilac on our side of her house that kept trying to take it over and was even growing into her siding. I nicked the huge thing many times over a year before it finally stopped putting out new runners and hasn't put out one since. Be persistent and don't give up. Perhaps since it was something your dad planted so many years ago, you could save one and put it in a pot where it won't spread any more, or even a hanging pot since it is viney. Good luck!

• Karen Bullard Leo Karen Bullard Leo on Feb 11, 2018
    I found this natural weed killer that took out major poison ivy. No reason it won't work for you.https://pinterest.com/pin/299630181452377443/?source_app=android

• Jerry Jerry on Feb 11, 2018
    Prune it short and paint the "stumps" with straight Roundup immediately. It should take it down and kill the roots. I do this with volunteer oak and pecan trees which come in my flower beds every year.

• Jam6834330 Jam6834330 on Feb 11, 2018
    Plant it in my yard. My husband is very gifted in that area. Spray it with roundup.

• Lori Lori on Feb 11, 2018
    Round up is very bad for animals and humans....cover up the area with cardboard or dark plastic .....no sun no plant

• Bet24401515 Bet24401515 on Feb 11, 2018
    I would use Round Up!

• Carolyn Davis Carolyn Davis on Feb 11, 2018
    Vinegur salt and boiling water. On the roots in the fall. Make sure you get the main root and feeder roots.
    Round up is bad for humans and animals and every thing around it.

• Kulpy Kulpy on Feb 11, 2018
    Thank you

• Claude Claude on Feb 11, 2018
    Round up is a nasty product. It is a cancer causing product. It is DEFINATELY not safe and it REMAINS IN THE SOIL for years. Plants need sunlight, water and soil to grow. Remove any one and they will not survive. Cut it drastically back. Spray with vinegar /dawn and salt. Then throw black pplastic bag over it and tie the bag around the cut stem. Leave it there. Min of 6 weeks. It will die and you won’t get lymphoma.

• Claude Claude on Feb 11, 2018
    boil a cup of white vinegar, disolve as much salt in the vinegar as possible add a squirt of dawn (1tsp)...use that as a spray.

• Judy Sousae Wheeling Judy Sousae Wheeling on Feb 12, 2018
    I agree that the round up should be avoided at all cost. Please don't support the monster Monsanto. I've always had great luck with white vinegar.

• Sandra Mull Sandra Mull on Feb 19, 2018
    Keep it! they are pretty!

• Leigh Sharpe Leigh Sharpe on Jul 12, 2019

So glad to come across this thread. I'm in Fla. and have the same problem. This vine is pesky and so is the Purple Passion vine...ugh

• Pat Pat on Jul 12, 2019

Here in the Midwest, we (or I do) love bleeding heart plants. I had one years ago and it grew and bloomed every spring and then one year it just died out. The flower looked different then the one you pictured....are there different varieties?

• Nancy roman Nancy roman on Oct 18, 2019

Omg, I have the same problem as the original writer of this thread! I love Bleeding Heart plants but this variety was a mistake. Yes, it looks lovely in bloom but it has taken over the entire backyard! Thanks for the ideas and alternatives to Roundup. I already have Lymphoma.