Make Your Own Steam Mop Pads

$2

I'm already in Spring cleaning mode so I've been cleaning like a mad woman lately! We bought a Swiffer Bissell Steamboost Mop recently and it came with two of the cleaning pads for it. They smelled wonderful, but I was concerned that the solution on them may not be good for our three cats to be walking around on as well as the the refill pads are kind of expensive in my opinion, especially for as often as I mop my floors.

make your own steam mop pads

I decided to find a more natural way to clean my floors so this is my solution for saving money and *keeping my cats safe in the long run.

make your own steam mop pads

First of all I needed a cloth to attach to the mop to grab up all the yuckiness. A microfiber cleaning cloth was what I decided on so off to the Dollar Tree I went and lucky enough, I got two towels for one dollar! Yep $1 yall!!!

make your own steam mop pads

FYI, this is the lazy, no cut, no sew method for my fellow impatient types out there! lol!

First I removed the tags from my towels (just my preference) then I centered the mop on the towel.

make your own steam mop pads

Fold the ends up to the edge of the mop on both sides.

make your own steam mop pads

You will see a little rubber slot on each corner to tuck your towel in to. Its very grippy by the way.

make your own steam mop pads

Using one finger I tucked each corner into the provided slots making sure my towel was tight on the mop base.

make your own steam mop pads

For the placement demo I was showing you with a dry towel, but before actually mopping, I wet the towel and then wrung it out pretty well.

make your own steam mop pads

You can get the exact recipe I use for mopping my floors, right here and also *a very important message for pet owners too!

make your own steam mop pads

I used a kitchen funnel and an empty glass cleaner bottle for storing my solution. Recycle!

make your own steam mop pads

Make sure your steam mop has distilled water in it, plug it in to warm up and then spray a generous amount of your diy cleaning solution down.

make your own steam mop pads

This Swiffer Bissell Steamboost Mop has changed my mopping life! I love it and I feel like my floors are getting much cleaner than when I used a nasty looking traditional mop. I have no idea why I haven't gotten one before now.

make your own steam mop pads

Just keep spraying your solution and mopping until your towel has reached it maximum amount of "dirty", then change if necessary and repeat.

make your own steam mop pads

The towel is filthy but the floor is clean now! I swept before I mopped and this microfiber towel still picked up bits and pieces of yuck that was left behind as well as grabbed the dirt too. Now I just toss this in the washer with my towels and it will be good to go for next time.

EDITED TO ADD: I use HOT water and bleach in my towel load each time, so everything gets sanitized. :)

make your own steam mop pads

I'm always trying to save money when I can and of course I'm going to share it with you each and every time! I hope you enjoy this cleaning tip as much as I do.

If you like my cleaning tips I have more listed on the blog. Link down below. Thanks for looking!

DeeDee

• Linda N. Vandiver

Where is the recipe , well maybe not the recipe but where do I find out everything and how much to use

• Jan Lister

There’s a link in blue writing not far from the start of this project. Xx

• Linda N. Vandiver

Sorry looks like I asked a question in the wrong place.. But where do I find out the ingredients for this and how much of everything it takes to make it..

• EC

Can vinegar be used on natural stone like granite and marble?

• Suzzanne

No. The same things that make vinegar an effective cleaner—its acidity—are also the reason you shouldn’t use it on certain surfaces. White vinegar can damage natural stone like granite or marble and can harm grout. Don’t use white vinegar to clean waxed or unfinished wood floors. Vinegar is also too harsh to use on natural carpet fibers such as silk or wool.

We independently select these products—if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission.

PUBLISHED: MAR 6, 2019

23

Volume 0%

• Venia5578

Not proud to admit it, but I am a lazy, no cut, no sew and inpatient especially where house work is concern. Thanks for thinking about me. LOL

• Tabitha

I've seen similar posts for the regular swiffer wet pads where they stored the pads in the solution instead of spraying it on the floor. I'm thinking this would work the same with the steamboost. The pads have solution in them already just like the standard swiffer wet mops. I LOVE my swiffer steamboost but like you have a cat who LOVES to run across my newly mopped floor and get all those chemicals on her feet. I used my last chemical ridden pad yesterday and am planning on switching to vinegar and water solution.