Frugal Faux Floors- Brown Paper Treatment

$100

When we built my craft room in our basement I had a lot of unique ideas I wanted to incorporate into the project. One of those things was to try this technique of using brown paper to create a faux finish for my floor. Shown below are the items you'll need for the first portion of the project.
frugal faux floors brown paper treatment
A bowl for the glue and water mixture, a bowl to drain and hold the paper that has been soaked, a brush to apply the glue mixture to missed areas. You'll need several rolls of brown paper, latex gloves, white school glue, water and a measuring cup.
* Note that floors were prepped beforehand with wood filler in the areas where the screw heads made indentations. Complete sanding if necessary, for any raised edges making sure to vacuum the floor afterwards.
*Also the brown paper can be prepped ahead of time by tearing the rolls into 8- 12" size pieces and crumpled into balls and set aside for later.
Mix together your solution in the larger of the two bowls, your mixture ratio will be 3 parts water: 1 part glue
Seen below here are the prepared paper pieces, torn and crumpled and placed into my laundry basket for easy maneuvering.
I found it best to just wet about 6 pieces in the glue solution at a time and once wet I'd let them rest in the shallow bowl seen above until I was ready to piece them in. I found it was a little like puzzle piecing and I would overlap about an inch over the previously laid pieces. Continue working in this way, use the paint brush to add glue mixture to any areas of paper that were missed. I used my gloved hands to spread the pieces completely flat to the floor sub-floor.
I did have an inspector for quality control...my shadow of course!
Once the floor was completely covered with paper I allowed for a drying time of 12 hours at least before moving to the next step. Here's how it looked all wet, not impressed yet? Just wait a minute and you will be, well I was anyhow.
The next step at your own choice of course is to choose a preferable stain color for your floor. I chose an oil based Miniwax stain in the color of Fruitwood and applied it lightly with t-shirt rags (lint-free). DO NOT overlap staining, blend lightly as you work to cover the entire area. It absorbed very well into the paper treatment and concealed small imperfections. In fact the ragged paper edges now began to look like torn leather patches.
The last step I started 24 hours after the stain was applied, this step was to apply a protective top coat of polyurethane. I applied an oil modified floor grade polyurethane with a roller brush and tray, in total I applied 6 coats with a dry time of 2 to 3 hours between each one. Here's the closeup look of the finished look.
Once this was completed I let the floor rest another 24 hours before moving furniture into the room. I was super impressed with the final results, I read that it is durable but I added a rug to protect it from the wheels of my office chair
Best of all the inspector approved, the finish has been able to withstand his playing and running around on easily enough. It was economical to install, it's tough and durable, easy to repair if necessary and easy to clean up with a little soapy water.
So all that's left to ask is, "Are you going to try it?"
Be sure to check out other custom ideas we created in my craft room, see link below for a great idea for a small window.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/12349659/transom-window-mirror-trick?scid=5590067#c-5590067

• Pamela Walther Hardin

i have Saltillo Mexican tile. Any suggestions? Can I do this project?

thanks

• Sea Trace Creations

I'm not familiar with those tiles, sorry but perhaps someone else could help. My opinion is that this particular project would adhere to it but I don't know about condensation issues especially with tiles and concrete? You could try a small patch with just a few pieces of brown paper bag and white glue to see how it adheres and holds up?

• Pamela Walther Hardin

I want to do something with my Saltillo Mexican tile floors that my husband wouldn’t let me care for properly now need attention! I also have that awful black and white checked bathroom tile. Any suggestions?

thanks

• Sea Trace Creations

I agree with Reenaroc, I have seen many great projects here on Hometalk with floors being painted and stenciled. It's a easy and inexpensive way to update the style if the tiles are in Great condition still. The Saltillo tiles I'm unfamiliar with so Im afraid I cant help but if you searched that tile name maybe some updating projects would come up on updating them. I hope this helps, thanks for asking a great question.

• Patricia Cook

Would this work to seal concrete?

• Sea Trace Creations

I'm thinking no if you mean to use it on floors due to the fact from my experience with concrete floors in my basement that experience dampness. Any area where dampness may ocurrs a paper product such as this project woukd provide a surface for mold to grow. I'm not 100% sure but you could try a small patch to see how it goes, I hope this helps.