What type of flower / bush does well in the HOT Texas sun?

+5
It seems like only our rose bushes and Pampas Grass will grow. Flower / veggies dry up and die. No matter how much we water. The only place we can plant faces West and it gets the afternoon hot sun

• Frankzare4u Frankzare4u on Feb 14, 2018
    try herbs; basil makes a great bush.
  • Imjhale Imjhale on Feb 14, 2018
    If needed, have you amended the soil? Start there, then try: Allamanda, Lantana, firebush, pentas, plumbago, gallardia (blanket flower), beach sunflowers, purple queen. Many options
  • Debbe Debbe on Feb 15, 2018
    Mulch heavy as I know I live in Texas too ! Another is Texas sage it has a blue gray color and blooms little blue flowers
  • Kim Kim on Feb 15, 2018
    If you are looking for a flowering bush that has many different heights and colors look at crepe myrtle. They bloom in the summer and are beautiful.
  • Christina Christina on Feb 15, 2018
    I lived in Dallas for many years and we planted Lantana ,it lived the heat and came back every year.
  • Mary Lou Mary Lou on Feb 15, 2018
    When I lived in hot, dry Riverside my rose bushes were six feet tall and bloomed profusely. When I moved to the beach area they barely survive. One other success I had in Riverside was Gardenia bushes. Great fragrance! Hope this helps
  • Melanie Melanie on Feb 15, 2018
    I live in North Texas, south of Fort Worth/Dallas. Japanese boxwood and crepe myrtle work pretty well and you also don't have to water them much after they are established except when it gets really dry (end of August). Good luck!
  • Carol Carol on Feb 16, 2018
    Try texassuperstar.com