What is a clever, eye pleasing way to start seeds in the house?

+5
My bay window in my living room faces west and it's the biggest window in the house. I want to start seeds, but don't like the traditional seed trays, dirt mess that comes with it.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Feb 15, 2018
    https://www.hometalk.com/28405930/muffin-pan-herb-starter-pots
  • Debbie  swanson Debbie swanson on Feb 15, 2018
    egg trays are good to start seeds or just fill a pot with soil and put what seeds you want to start, I have tomato seed started that way they are doing good.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 15, 2018
    Since most seed starter trays don't leak water, fashion a box out of wood so that it covers only the tray part and set it in the box. You can finish it to match the sill in the bay window and it will still get all the sun it needs. I myself when I start seeds, go to the dollar store and get the disposable aluminum baking pans with the covers that are two for dollar and I use the K cups from hubbies Keurig coffee maker. You could set them in a box also to disguise the pan. As long as the cover shows to get sunlight and warmth, you should have no problem starting seeds. Just disguise the trays you use. I hope this helps you get your seeds started. You could also use a cut down cardboard box and paint it or cover it with contact paper.
  • Julie  McCuiston Julie McCuiston on Feb 15, 2018
    I would be inclined to use a nice basket or tin like this but using discarded K-Cups for a neater appearance.....https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497225615099758717/
  • Ken Ken on Feb 15, 2018
    Fascinating concept. This is a very utilitarian function and if you can find a way to sanitize it and still have it still work I would be eager to see the result.
  • Cindy Cindy on Feb 15, 2018
    Set an egg carton (decorated if you choose - craft paint is cheap and dries quickly) on a cookie sheet (or a cheap plastic tray from Dollar Tree) to contain the mess.