Chalk painting hints. How to start

+4
do I need to sand if lacquer finish? Best chalk paint

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Feb 15, 2018
    I would just give it a light sanding for a lacquer finish, but then it should coat well. You will definitely need more than one coat. I would sand a part lightly and paint it for a test, to see if it will stick well. But it really should stick just fine.
  • Beverly Beverly on Feb 15, 2018
    We have used chalk paint over many surfaces including brass, laminate, vinyl flooring. It never hurts to scuff up a little a very smooth surface although we have not always done so.
    We have used Annie Sloan chalk paint, Dixie Belle chalk paint & Rust-Oleum chalk paint.
    AS paint is the most expensive & is nice & thick. Dixie Belle is less expensive with good coverage too. Rust-Oleum is the least expensive, but is thinner, not as good a coverage & has limited colors.

Chalk paint is very fun to use & easy to use!! We love the possibilities that these paints allow.

• Lou32583241 Lou32583241 on Feb 15, 2018
    Annie Sloan is my choice. I'm hooked!
    I would sand a lacquer finish a little but the directions say no priming or sanding needed. It's a bit pricey but the quality is phenomenal. I also used Annie's brush. Agood brush makes
    all the difference with the outcome of your project.
    It only takes one coat for a velvety matte finish. It sticks to
    most surfaces ( stone, brick, concrete and metal) .
    I watered it down a little when i painted my Grandparents oak dresser from the late 1800's. Then I sanded it for a distressed look and put a wax coating over it. I needed a change after growing up with antiques and living in Fl. I wanted to lighten the room up.
    It comes in so many beautiful colors. Pastels are my favorite.
    There are a lot of good chalk paints out there now so have fun
    picking a color. Happy painting!
  • Beverly Beverly on Feb 17, 2018
    Very well......it is in an upstairs bathroom that does not get daily use. My husband put several coats of satin polyacrylic over it & I use a rug in front of the sink
    My Dixie Belle supplier has a product called Gator Hide which is specifically for use on high use areas like table tops, desks, floors. I have not tried it yet.........you might want to check it out.
  • Beverly Beverly on Feb 17, 2018
    I've tried to respond to you.....did u receive my response?