Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Ten Tips to Save You Money

$3
1 Minute

We all want to save money and some of the biggest money wasters are simple things we never really think about. Here are some tips for an “ah ha”, green saving moment!

ten tips to save you money

Tip 1: Insulate your Outlets

Did you know that cold air seeps through the outlets on your outer walls? You can stop it!

1. Remove your outlet cover
  2. Purchase outlet sealers at any hardware store. They usually come 6 to a pack.
  3. Punch out the round pieces
  4. Place it onto your outlet
  5. Place your outlet cover back on
ten tips to save you money

Tip 2: Reverse Your Ceiling Fans

Ceiling fans are great for cooling your house in the summer but did you know they can keep your home warm in the winter?

During the summer, you ceiling fan runs counter-clockwise. Flip the switch on your fan and your fan will now run clockwise which will push the warm air down. Run it on the lowest setting during the colder months.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 3: Change your Lightbulbs

Incandescent bulbs are a huge money waster so changing them to LED is a simple and easy way to save some green. And they last longer than incandescent bulbs so you don’t have to change them as frequently.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 4: Place Timers on Your Lamps

Everyone uses timers during the holidays for their lights but did you ever think to use those same timers on frenquently used lamps?

Not only will this keep you from walking into a dark room, it will automatically turn off, saving you money!

ten tips to save you money

Tip 5: Move Lamps away from Thermostates

Do you have a lamp directly under your thermostate? Move it.

The heat from the lamp confuses the thermostat into thinking your home is warmer than it really is. Yup, that simple lightbulb throws that much heat.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 6: Let the Sun Shine In

Once the sun goes down, close your curtains and shades to keep the heat in your home but once the sun comes up, open them to allow the sun to warm your home for free.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 7: Don’t Rinse Your Dirty Plates

Rinsing the food off of your plates before loading them into the dishwasher wastes water and doesn’t allow your dishwasher to do what it was designed to do - clean your plates.

Extra Tip: Always run a full dishwasher.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 8: Speaking of Dishwashers...

For everyday use, use the setting that runs in the least amount of time and allow your dishes to air dry.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 9: Clean the Lint Filter

Every time you put a new load in your dryer, always clean your lint filter. Not only will this allow your dryer to run more efficiently but it can help stop a fire.

Did you know that birds use lint to build their nests? Recycle that lint by placing it in a tree in bag with holes.

ten tips to save you money

Tip 10: Reuse Water

When you wash produce, place a bowl in your sink to catch the water then use that water to give your houseplants a drink.

Hope you found at least one of these tips helpful. What are some other tips you’d like to share?

• Dale

Did you know that putting out dryer lint for bird's nest is NOT a good idea? Dryer lint contains human hair that can get wrapped around baby birds' legs and beaks.

• HisRib

I pack my dryer lint inside toilet paper tubes...excellent kindling for campfires!

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

How do you know which way the ceiling fan should turn, is clockwise looking up at fan? I feel so dumb but never was sure.

• Liesje Thorpe Germ

Her question was vantage point. She understands clockwise vs counterclockwise. “Turning to the right” looking down from the ceiling is “turning to the left” when looking from below.

• Barb

I'm the water and electricity police in my house. Why do they leave the TV and lights on when not in rooms? And why does faucet need to be turned on full force when brushing teeth or shaving? I don't even run water till I'm done brushing. These are things my Dad made me VERY aware of as a kid.

• Kathy A

Anyone who grew up in a house where the well went dry in August and had to help haul water makes a GREAT water miser--just ask me!

• Kathy A

My mom always used vegetable cooking water for the next batch of soup! Why buy vegetable broth???

• Tra34357859

I will always rinse my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher... Its not a garbage disposal...plus, imsure most of them won't come clean