Dianna Wood
Dianna Wood
  • Burlington, NC

Oh Dear! The Oven Has to Go!

We wanted to keep all the original 50 year old appliances; but, the 1962 Wedgewood Built-In Oven had seen it's day and although these are incredible ovens, this one simply was no longer safe to operate. So - it had to go and I was left with a huge hole in my kitchen--one not large enough for a modern built-in.
oh dear the oven has to go, appliances, home decor, kitchen design, shelving ideas
So, the question was, "What am I going to do with that big dark hole? I had six glass canisters that I had purchased from Walmart and used in my apartment on a shelf in the kitchen. Our new kitchen had limited counter space and I had feared that I would have no where to put my canisters. I measured the hole and went back to the apartment and measured the two free standing little black cubicle units that I had used in the office for storing paper stock.
I was excited to find that if I put them side-by-side they would fit into the space where the oven used to be. We brought them back to the house and I proceeded to mount them inside the big dark whole. I had to do some major modifications because the hole was not square -- but, hey anytime I can get out the power towels, I'm a happy camper.
After successfully installing them, I put the shelves back in and found that there was just enough space between shelves for my glass canisters!
I wanted to retain the retro look of the original oven - So, I went out to the "junk" pile; Pulled the control panel off the original oven; cleaned it up; and,mounted it above the new shelf unit.
And here is my new "non-oven" Oven!
I was heart broken to see that Wedgewood go; but, I was thrilled to have a space for my canisters that make our kitchen more practical and live-able!

Dianna Wood