Repurposed Succulent Planters

A post showing how to take everyday items from your home and turn them into unique and fun planters for succulents. This method can be used for any type of plant.
I originally purchased this mug for myself to use for coffee in the mornings but there was a crack in the handle that I didn't notice. It sat on my desk for about a month before I came up with the idea to use it as a planter.
I bought this silver teapot for only $5 from an antiques mall on a visit home to see my family. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I knew I needed to have it.
I purchased vase filler rocks from Michael's to add drainage for the soil. I had read about succulents and knew they needed a fairly dry environment.
I covered the bottom of the teapot and mug with a layer of the rocks then added potting soil and arranged the succulents. I added another layer of rocks on top to help support the plants.
All of these succulents were cuttings that I bought from Etsy. I planted them in a large pot until they started to root and then I was ready to transfer them into decorative containers.

Cheryl Dewees

• Connie K

Thanks for posting this idea. I have lots of small items that need to be used and I love succulents. Can't beat that. Oh, I didn't know you could buy plants on Etsy.

• Cheryl Dewees

@Connie K I love them too. I have a bit of a black thumb but they're so easy to take care of. The set of starters I got on Etsy was perfect.

• CJ