Suggestions for landscaping a large bare spot in our back yard.

+8
The area is underneath an oak tree. The area gets afternoon sun but we have not been able to get grass to grow. I was looking for an idea using potted plants or maybe lawn furniture. The area in questions is approximately 20 feet by 8 feet.

• Antk8 Antk8 on Feb 18, 2018
    Go to a nursery and ask to see shade loving plants. There are lots of them, in or out of pot
    • Har32614229 Har32614229 on Feb 19, 2018
      Thank you for the suggestion. Another idea given was a bench. Along with potted plants, I think it will work.
  • Debbie  swanson Debbie swanson on Feb 18, 2018
    different sizes of potted plants would look nice
      Thank you for the suggestion. I was given the suggestion for a bench under the tree. Combined with the plants and maybe rocks, I hope it will not be a eye sore anymore. Thanks, Debbie
  • Linda Linda on Feb 19, 2018
    A bench under the tree might be a nice place to enjoy the shade. Can be a circle of seating for friends and family to join you.

I like the idea of a bench under the tree. The other ideas I had were plants, potted or out of pots. Great idea. Thank you, Linda
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Feb 19, 2018
    Hostas are easy and great
  • Linda Linda on Feb 19, 2018
    Hope you enjoy the build and many days on your bench!
  • Genie Genie on Feb 19, 2018
    I like the idea of a bench and maybe a chair or two if you start using the area. You might consider putting down some pea gravel or something else to walk on. A few potted shade plants would be nice, but please consider that oak trees are susceptible to root rot; there is a fungus that attacks them, so don't use a lot of water around them.
  • Janet Harden Janet Harden on Feb 19, 2018
    Sunset has a section on what grows well under oaks.
    also I think that the potted plants and a bench are great ideas. what better way to enjoy the shade of the oak tree.