How do I clean silver jewelry ?

+4
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 18, 2018
    Plain old fashioned toothpaste without any additives or gel or anything. A toothbrush works real well getting in to the little spots. It rinses of with warm water. If it has hard stones like diamonds, I plunk them in a small dish with alcohol in it, it helps it dry quicker and cleaner and I set them on a soft towel to dry and buff with it if the piece needs it. Don't use alcohol on stones that are more delicate, like turquoise, opal and pearl. I hope this helps!
  • Gib6732847 Gib6732847 on Feb 18, 2018
    Ultra bright toothpaste works in seconds to remove tarnish from sterling silver jewelry. Just add a dab of it on damp jewelry, rub the area with a soft brush or cloth and then rinse well.

• Cindy Cindy on Feb 18, 2018
    Here's a recipe for a DIY silver cleaning solution: materials needed: 2 clean glass bowls, alum foil, salt, baking soda, and warm (not hot) water. Line a glass bowl with the foil. Sprinkle in 1 Tablespoon of baking soda and 1 Tablespoon of salt. Pour in warm water and stir. Put in your silver jewelry. Each piece must come in contact with the foil. Let them soak for 2 minutes. Move items around a bit and then take it all out and put it in the second bowl filled with clean water. Remove and lay everything out on a clean cloth to dry. Heavy tarnish may require more time in solution.
  • William William on Feb 18, 2018
    I sell a lot of silver on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.
  • Donna Spradlin Donna Spradlin on Feb 23, 2018

.Had a silversmith tell me plain old cigarette and stove ashes. just rub with a dry rag or tooth brush. I have tried it and it does work