Building an Inexpensive King Sized Headboard

$72
1 Day

Three years after the husband bought the king size mattress, I finally got around to building the headboard I'd always imagined.

I had a day off and I knew the weather was going to be lovely so I didn’t waste any time.

building an inexpensive king sized headboard
I had my old diagram I had drawn up sometime back, (thank goodness I still have drafting skills)!
Then recently I saw this headboard at Restoration Hardware and I liked the little shelf brackets at the top so I made a few changes to my original diagram.  My drawing was originally more shaker style but with a few alterations to my diagram, I made it work.

I wasn't about to spend $2695 on a headboard that I could make myself!
I started with a hollow core door, a few wooden shelf brackets, a piece of trim and a couple wooden panels for the legs, embellishment, and top shelf. All the measurements are in the materials section below :)
Start by attaching the legs to the door. Here you can see I made the legs my simply attaching 3 boards together in a "c" formation with the open side pointing to the back.

Then, starting in the corner- lay down a bracket, a wooden slat for embellishment, and the first piece of trim.
Continue placing the pieces as you go down the door. Once you are happy with all of the spacing, secure everything in place.
Here it is, everything secured, and attached to the legs.

Now comes the easy part!
I primed the entire surface for paint. Priming ensures better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional protection for the wood that's being painted.
I gave it a couple coats of black and that was it! Ready for action!

I’d call this a very successful WIN!  Totally affordable and cute but most of all, I can say that I MADE IT!

GullyCreekCottage

• Diane

On your resources for this project list there is a hollow core door panel. Where does that go in your project? It’s very pretty and looks very well made. Great job!

• GullyCreekCottage

Hi Diane and thank you! The hollow core door is the base (the largest wood) panel that I built upon!