Is there a standard height that pictures should be hung on a wall?

+9
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Feb 19, 2018
    Generally eye level. Remember, art is VISUALLY appealing, so adjust your pictures by eye. Also, the top of all your pictures should roughly be the same. In a grouping, the top of the highest one should be no higher than other groupings or individual paintings
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Feb 19, 2018
    Pictures should be hung so that when you stand in front of them they are straight in front of you unless you at really short, then put them about 52 inches from the bottom to the floor. 10 - 12 inches above a chesterfield or couch.
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Feb 19, 2018
    They are supposed to be at eye level, but I hang mine however I think they look good. I try to keep photos at eye level, but pictures of flowers, paintings and such can be hung higher.
  • Lina Splichal Lina Splichal on Feb 19, 2018
    There are so many options for handing pictures. You really need to use your common sense and "eye" for aesthetics. Be aware of symmetry and decide if you want a grouping evenly spaced and what you want you ending overall shape to be.
    I like my pictures to be hung at a functional viewing position, which puts the central point of the picture at 5 feet 6 inches. However, for every rule there is an exception.
    If you are placing an arrangement above a piece of furniture that may dictate a different height. I recommend at least 4 inches above the furniture or centered vertically and/or horizontally above the furniture.
    If you are placing a collage of pictures or combining a picture with other wall hangings, it is best to arrange them in a pattern depending on the theme of the wall.
  • Yes. Sort of. Should be at "eyelevel" - which is quite subjective to interpretation in my house. My mother was 5'1" and my brother is 6'4" - whose eyelevel??? 🤔 That being said, here are some awesome tips!

(In my house everything is hung to my eyelevel, I am 5'10".)

• Lori Lori on Feb 19, 2018
    I always found it best to hang pictures from a standing position, but that the picture should be at least 60" to 70" from the floor. Of course this does not account for someone that is a little vertically challenged, so be mindful of hanging at eye level.
  • Diane Diane on Feb 19, 2018
    I think the "standard rule of thumb" is "eye" level.
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Feb 19, 2018
    The focal point of the image should be at or slightly below eye level. When hanging photos, use the eyes as the focal point.
  • Charline Charline on Feb 19, 2018
    Decorators used to suggest hanging pictures at eye level. Now anything goes so do what pleases your own eye.
  • Puf31413395 Puf31413395 on Feb 20, 2018
    Eye level
  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jul 18, 2021

They used to say eye level, but I think it's a personal preference.