Meg S
Meg S
  • Arlington Heights, IL

Faux Stained Glass Technique Turns Trash Into Treasures

I found that if I colored with permanent markers and then painted it with mod podge it looked like stained glass. The key is that it takes a few times so I color, paint the glue on it and then wait for it to dry and do it again. This works on glass as well as clear plastic...the butterflies are amazing and I glitter and bead them so that they stand up.
faux stained glass technique turns trash into treasures, crafts, decoupage, painting, repurposing upcycling
the more times you do it the deeper the color gets.
I used a gold marker on the edges.
i painted the bottles white where the gray is so that the stained glass part apeared brighter
I love the way they look in light! you can put in a string of white christmas lights to make it a focal piece.
same Idea only on plastic....the salad covers I get i use them for these.
love this one
candle holder that is amazing when lit!
I used glitter behind it so the light is extra bright and beautiful!
Pickle jar, glittered and staind glass butterflies
Hope I inspired you!

To see more: http://artfullygreen.weebly.com/

• Carol Cosgrave

HI, which sort of modge podge do you use, the hard cote glue or the matte glue

• Patty Parsons

Love the stain glass bottles!! Did I miss the movie how to make them?? Please and Thank you!!

• Patty Parsons

Love this!! Did I miss the movie telling us how it is done?? Please and Thank you!!

• Mck7971903

About this project
      Published 19th March 2013
      royal crown bottle, permanent markers, gold paint pen, and modge podge
      clean the bottle inside and out...let dry. color the bottle and then modge podge it but do one color at a time other wise they do run...be careful....when dry i did another coat of markers the another modge podge and then use the gold paint pen to outline the design already on the bottle...use the side of the tip.

• Londa

Just ser pictures I would like some guidance. How is it don? Do i spray paint the bottle black then use the markers?
  • Sue

Why not just use glass paint? I’m sure markers are cheaper but glad paint would take less paint

• Jan Koelsch

These are amazing! As I was looking through your pictures, I thought mod podging (sp?) a picture in the center of the bottle would be awesome. These are beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing.
  • Debbie Duran

There is nothing attached to show me how the stained glass is done. Please share!