What is the best choice, for making shelves in a kitchen pantry

+7
best material ? covered metal/wire, solid wood, particle board, other

• Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on Feb 20, 2018
    I have the wire shelves in mine that have the slats in them, and I hate them. Small stuff can slip through these. If I could redo my shelving, I would use something flat, and probably solid wood if I could. I think it would withstand any weight better and be easy to clean. Here is a link from Pinterest with ideas and measurements as well:
  • Jana Jana on Feb 20, 2018
    In a pantry I would suggest putting in solid shelves as well. If things fall through it could be difficult to keep the area clean.
  • First I would do almost anything to have a real, proper pantry. It is a matter of personal preference and budget. My dream would be solid wood, carries weight and easy to clean.

• Dfm Dfm on Feb 20, 2018
    My pantry happens to be a metal bookcase. Resucued when curb shopping on town clean up day. It’s mostly me in the house, occasionally a guest. Use wood, painted and sealed if you have a larger family. My grandmother had an extra bedroom converted to a pantry, every wall with shelves and stocked. The closest grocer was 1 hour a way.
  • Eleanor Korf Eleanor Korf on Feb 20, 2018
    Our pantry is 25 years old and it had particle board shelving when we moved in. I painted the shelving and it has held up very well. If you use that product you will have to screw a wood strip under the entire length of the back of the shelving to keep the shelves from sagging, and if the shelves are long I would recommend you screw a vertical 1 X 2 that goes from floor to top shelf approximately every three feet to keep the shelf fronts from sagging. Mine did not have supports in front and began to sag from the weight of the items placed on the shelves. I cut 1X 2's to fit from floor to top shelf and screwed each shelf in place. Problem solved.
  • Tae Tae on Feb 20, 2018
    I have painted solid wood in my pantry. I like it but occasionally wish I had something that didn’t require me to remove everything to clean so my vote is for metal wire.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Feb 28, 2018
    Go with plywood, it's solid and strong. Particle board is not as strong and it will swell with any moisture or humidity. Wire shelves are just annoying, things don't sit right or fall threw them and they'll rust if nicked.
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Feb 28, 2018
    I like the covered white wire shelves, but then I put a piece of plexiglass on top of them so things don't fall through.
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Feb 28, 2018
    Definitely not particle board, it'll sag. Most home stores have wire shelving that is really study