Make Two Throw Pillow Inserts - From One Bed Pillow!

$5

The right pillow form can make all the difference with your decor. But sometimes - we don't need to look any further than our linen closets and bedrooms for fresh pillow inserts. I made these two gorgeous, fluffy pillow inserts out of one bed pillow that was on it's way to be donated. I just love finding new ways to use stuff around the house!
This project couldn't be easier! I took one king sized cover and wanted to even pillow inserts. My king pillow was exactly 20x 36 inches. I just cut this in half - to make two 20 x 18 inch pillow forms. Yes - it's not standard, but when you make you own pillow covers anyways, you can just make them to fit. :) You can certainly measure a standard size pillow form if you want.
I made a small dot at 18 inches and then used a ruler to draw a line all the way down the pillow.
Then I cut it! Yes, you will be in a feather snowstorm. It's worth it. :)

***Alternatively, BEFORE you cut the pillow, you can hand sew the pillows shut, THEN cut. This helps avoid a big mess of feathers. (Thanks hometalkers!) Then run the pillows through your sewing machine to tighten up the seams.
I didn't find it too difficult to just cut, pin and sew. Plus - I love to vacuum!
After it's completely cut, Try and tuck as many feathers or filling as you can back into each pillow.
Then pin it up!
Then sew it really, really well. You don't ever want that filling to come out again. :) And - it will be covered with a pillow cover so who cares if it's not super pretty.
Voila! Now you have two beautiful throw pillow inserts for the price of one bed pillow. Get creative with those old bed pillows in storage and put them to good use with your decor! For more of my tips on pillows, fabric and what makes the best pillow inserts - go to my website - www.decorhint.com
Cover up those new inserts with a pretty pillow cover. Have fun!

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Karen | Decor Hint

• SnowKnitty

Thanks for this share! I never knew how to upcycle my old bed pillows.

• Linda Lou

I would do a double row of stitching on the bed pillow and then cut between the two. If not, the feathers will come flying out and end up everywhere. Believe me, I know from experience. What a mess!