Karen | Decor Hint
Karen | Decor Hint
  • Seattle, WA

Make Two Throw Pillow Inserts - From One Bed Pillow!

$5

The right pillow form can make all the difference with your decor. But sometimes - we don't need to look any further than our linen closets and bedrooms for fresh pillow inserts. I made these two gorgeous, fluffy pillow inserts out of one bed pillow that was on it's way to be donated. I just love finding new ways to use stuff around the house!
make two throw pillow inserts from one bed pillow
This project couldn't be easier! I took one king sized cover and wanted to even pillow inserts. My king pillow was exactly 20x 36 inches. I just cut this in half - to make two 20 x 18 inch pillow forms. Yes - it's not standard, but when you make you own pillow covers anyways, you can just make them to fit. :) You can certainly measure a standard size pillow form if you want.
I made a small dot at 18 inches and then used a ruler to draw a line all the way down the pillow.
Then I cut it! Yes, you will be in a feather snowstorm. It's worth it. :)

***Alternatively, BEFORE you cut the pillow, you can hand sew the pillows shut, THEN cut. This helps avoid a big mess of feathers. (Thanks hometalkers!) Then run the pillows through your sewing machine to tighten up the seams.
I didn't find it too difficult to just cut, pin and sew. Plus - I love to vacuum!
After it's completely cut, Try and tuck as many feathers or filling as you can back into each pillow.
Then pin it up!
Then sew it really, really well. You don't ever want that filling to come out again. :) And - it will be covered with a pillow cover so who cares if it's not super pretty.
Voila! Now you have two beautiful throw pillow inserts for the price of one bed pillow. Get creative with those old bed pillows in storage and put them to good use with your decor! For more of my tips on pillows, fabric and what makes the best pillow inserts - go to my website - www.decorhint.com
Cover up those new inserts with a pretty pillow cover. Have fun!
Karen | Decor Hint

• Judy Mckie

why not sew two lines down the middle then cut between them??

• Wanda Barnes

What kind of fabric did you use? I have the pillows just need to know what kind of fabric too us.

• Sharon Posson

have U ever heard of a perfectly pieced triangle from Quilting? Once U draw ur line @ 18" on pillow. Sew a line (seam) 1/4" on either side of line w/ small stitching. Now cut between those seams to cut the pillow in half. There's NO mess this way. Turn & sew those edges to hide the raw edges.

• Sharon

great idea.If the pillows are filled with poly fill you can pull it apart & you have a fluffier pillow

• Zoe Emiko

I do this using inexpensive bed pillows from my dollar store! I've found the cheaper the pillow is, the better it works for this!