Make Two Throw Pillow Inserts - From One Bed Pillow!

$5

The right pillow form can make all the difference with your decor. But sometimes - we don't need to look any further than our linen closets and bedrooms for fresh pillow inserts. I made these two gorgeous, fluffy pillow inserts out of one bed pillow that was on it's way to be donated. I just love finding new ways to use stuff around the house!
This project couldn't be easier! I took one king sized cover and wanted to even pillow inserts. My king pillow was exactly 20x 36 inches. I just cut this in half - to make two 20 x 18 inch pillow forms. Yes - it's not standard, but when you make you own pillow covers anyways, you can just make them to fit. :) You can certainly measure a standard size pillow form if you want.
I made a small dot at 18 inches and then used a ruler to draw a line all the way down the pillow.
Then I cut it! Yes, you will be in a feather snowstorm. It's worth it. :)

***Alternatively, BEFORE you cut the pillow, you can hand sew the pillows shut, THEN cut. This helps avoid a big mess of feathers. (Thanks hometalkers!) Then run the pillows through your sewing machine to tighten up the seams.
I didn't find it too difficult to just cut, pin and sew. Plus - I love to vacuum!
After it's completely cut, Try and tuck as many feathers or filling as you can back into each pillow.
Then pin it up!
Then sew it really, really well. You don't ever want that filling to come out again. :) And - it will be covered with a pillow cover so who cares if it's not super pretty.
Voila! Now you have two beautiful throw pillow inserts for the price of one bed pillow. Get creative with those old bed pillows in storage and put them to good use with your decor! For more of my tips on pillows, fabric and what makes the best pillow inserts - go to my website - www.decorhint.com
Cover up those new inserts with a pretty pillow cover. Have fun!

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Karen | Decor Hint

• Missy Capone
    Missy Capone

WHATS THE WATER HAVE TO DO WITH THESE PILLOWS?

• Linda
    Linda

How do you fit that under the sewing machine foot??? What am I missing?!

• Grandma jean
      Grandma jean

Squish the filling to either side by shaking them down to each end. Have done it several times. Sew -with machine - 2 parallel stitches. Narrow. Cut between them and be sure to back track the end stitches so feathers don’t poke through your cover.

• Gaye
    Gaye

I reused pillow feathers for a new pillow, but felt like they might be old and dirty. Do they have dust or must?

• Ok Blondie
      Ok Blondie

You can wash feather pillows. Just make sure the drum of the washer is balanced. Use the heavy cycle. Then toss them in the dryer on low setting with a tennis ball. The tennis ball will fluff up the pillows.

• MJ
    MJ

This is a thrifty way to use a pillow that’s too large. I have used Marsha method many times but first I used a rubber band to separate the down/feathers further away from the stitching. Works on comforters as well.

Your finished blue and cream pillows look great!

• Morgan
    Morgan

Love it. I am going to use my comforter. Great job and idea.