How do I build above ground garden beds?

+8
I need several pretty long ones. Some reviews on some kits for sale aren’t real good. I would like the steps to building, how to protect inside, and what is the best wood to use. I’ve seen some with wood frame and corrugated metal in the middle. Not sure how long before they get holes.

• Jana Jana on Feb 20, 2018
    Here is a link that will provide information about above ground garden beds. I have constructed them and am very happy with them. http://eartheasy.com/grow_raised_beds.htm
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 20, 2018
    you want to use untreated lumber, cedar would be better than pine, there are also plastacized lumber as well. The research I did suggested a 4 ft width. 8 ft long. You can reach your plants easily at that width and not compact the soil. I left roughly 2.5 to 3 feet...depending how wide your mower is Between the beds. the corners of the beds were attached to a 4x4 cut down for post, that was sunk into th ground leaving enough material top side to attatch the sides of the grow bed.

That said, there are now raised bed kits available, some have a hardware package, you get have to get the lumber separately. I put wire mesh in the bottom of the bed, covered with rocks to help drainage, then the potting mix. Top soil may not have enough Nutrition for the plants..I like a slow release fertilizer Apply only if needed.

There are potting mix recepies out on the internet, Janet P. might have a few suggestions.

• Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    About 8 inch tall...
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    Some 6 inches, lettuce radish onion beets etc.....some 12 inches tomatoes peppered egg plant corn
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    About 6 inches tall.
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    This ansswer keeps disapearing from my I pad...about 6 inches tall.
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    6 - 12 inch 6 inch lettuce root veggies, 12. Inch tall tomatoes, pepper eggplant corn
  • Dfm Dfm on Feb 21, 2018
    About 6 inches or so...