Quick Closet Shelving Using Metal Pipe

$40

A while back I (Steph) turned my office closet into an audio recording booth. It's been great to have the mic setup and ready to go when I need to record narration for our videos. Even with the recording setup I still had a little space left in the closet for storage. I've been storing plastic bins on the side, one on top of the other which is inconvenient when I need the one at the bottom. To remedy the problem, I decided to build some simple shelves to hold the bins and keep them out of the way when recording.
quick closet shelving
This is the before of the closet. Lot's of stacked stuff with little room to move around.

Want to see our latest projects? Sign-up for our weekly newsletter  here!
quick closet shelving
For this project we are using metal pipe and fittings and a couple long shelf boards we just took down.
quick closet shelving
The 36" pipe was cut in half. We used a portable band saw, but metal can be cut with many different tools. Each of the cut ends was fitted with plastic cap to finish the ends.
quick closet shelving
We cut the board to the length we needed. We added three shelves but there is room in the closet for one more if we need it.
quick closet shelving
The board we used was not deep enough so we cut down an additional piece to add 6" to the back of each shelf. These were attached with pocket hole screws.
quick closet shelving
Each shelf required the use of two flanges which we screwed into the wall.
quick closet shelving
Here are the flanges in place along with the pipes that screw into the flanges.
quick closet shelving
All that was left was to add the shelves and pipe straps if needed. We didn't add the pipe straps as these are not likely to be accidentally bumped out of place.
quick closet shelving
All finished. Now all the bins are accessible without having to move the others. We added a Dewalt small parts box to store picture hanging hardware that we use regularly in the house.
quick closet shelving
Now there's plenty of room to record and keep stuff up off the floor!
Everything is nice and tidy now!
quick closet shelving
Everything is nice and tidy now!
Mother Daughter Projects

• David

Do you really need the shelves?...Would the pipes alone not support the bins?

• Monica

I think it looks better with the shelves than just poles sticking out from the wall.

• Rae

Were you hitting studs with the screws or did you use a special one to not pull back out of the drywall.

• Lisas Rexstar

Like most of your projects, this can be done by folks like my daughter, Shannon & me! She inherited my dad's talent for making something out of not much. Have you two thought of collecting some of your favorite projects into a book? Please put "Mother/Daughter" in the title so your fans, like me, can recognize you! Do sign my copy, if you please!

• Valerie

I agree. If it comes out in July/August, that gives you some time to get autographed copies to your biggest fans for Christmas and other cold weather holidays. I also love that your projects are easy enough to take to my husband without him griping!

• Dsouther

This is a great idea. I wish I had room for something like that in my teeny tiny laundry room.

• Wanda Fleeman

Another idea for marking you storage boxes, I put winter on one end and summer on the other. When you switch out seasons. Just turn the box. Or tub.

• Cathy Wallis

I love it! I just put shelves in my bathroom in a small space that wasn’t being used and I wish I would’ve seen this sooner. It looks a lot easier plus I have some flanges in my bathroom already. Great job guys I’ll use that in the future!