DIY Rustic/Farmhouse Bench

$35

After a recent Fixer Upper binge & an internet deep-dive, I came across these unique bench leg attachments online. They claimed to turn any assortment of wood into the perfect outdoor or indoor bench.
I decided to give them a try & what I ended up with was one of the easiest DIYs I've even done.
Keep reading to learn how to build your own rustic/farmhouse bench.
Here's a quick list of supplies however, you can always see a full list at the end of this post & with the video.
I live in an apartment & tend to avoid projects that involve spray painting since I don't have a large work area. But with this small spray shelter from HomeRight solves that problem!

I started by spray painting the bench legs- I used premade bench legs I found on line.
You can find these bench legs here: http://amzn.to/2EQCX3U
I decided to paint my bench legs to go with the rustic/farmhouse style I was looking for. Paint in sweeping motion & allow the paint to dry before returning to add more layers. Repeat the process. 
Once each bench leg was covered, I let them dry overnight before assembling the bench.

I stained my 2x4s and began arranging them for the bench surface/support.
Four of the pieces are being used for the bench surface, 1 piece is for the bench support.

After arranging my 2x4s I added my bench legs and measured 6 inches inwards to accomadate for my five foot support.

Then I used the hardware that came with the bench legs to attach them. It's easier if you have an extra pair of hands to hold your 2x4s in place.
Repeat this process for both sides.

Make sure you accommodate for how long you want your middle support to be (you might have to cut it down).
Attach the support with the remaining hardware & you're ready to flip your bench over!
Feel free to leave any questions down below & check out my other corners of the internet. 

YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/HeatherMoxieDIYed 
Blog: www.heathermoxiediy.com 
Twitter: www.twitter.com/HeatherMoxieDIY 
Instagram: www.instagram.com/heathermoxiediy/
Although spray painting the bench legs is optional, I found that it gave my bench a much more "finished" look.
I love that this bench can be used inside or outside without standing out in the wrong way.

• Retta Robinson

What are bench legs made of? I have a live edge slab that's REALLY heavy and I'm looking for sturdy legs.

• Heather Moxie DIY

Hello Retta,

these particular bench legs are a durable plastic made for outdoor use. They don’t flex when pressure is put in them. With the crossbar support you should be fine as long as you’re not aiming for a very long bench.