Paint is Power! Bathroom Before & After

$1500
2 Weeks

When you have a limited budget, a perfectly fine (yet hideously ugly!) bathroom, and a slightly bizarre penchant for paint, this is what can happen.

Note: This makeover has been summarised slightly for HomeTalk. Find my full project, including all of the photos, here on my blog.

paint is power bathroom before after

This is the master bathroom at my parent's house. A few months back they decided the sea of mushroom beige (circa 1992) needed to go.

paint is power bathroom before after
paint is power bathroom before after

I must admit, with soooo much to change, it was hard to know where to start. Though it wasn't hard to know that paint would be a major player!

paint is power bathroom before after

Taking my parent's fondness for blue and white as our cue, we decided to begin by transforming the old vinyl floor.

We used a tile stencil from Etsy and chalk paint which we sealed with several coats of non-yellowing floor-grade poly.

paint is power bathroom before after

Thankfully it turned out great and became a perfect platform to build the 'new' room around.

paint is power bathroom before after

The tiles, vanity, trim and ceiling were all freshly finished in white to brighten the room, whilst the walls were dressed in warm grey for a soft contrast. The tub surround was painted navy to echo the floor.

paint is power bathroom before after

In stark contrast to the liberal application of paint, the wall cabinet doors were stripped back and left natural to help add warmth and interest.

paint is power bathroom before after

To compliment the navy and reference the warm wood, we added new gold tapware and sconces.

There's just something so lovely about navy and gold!

paint is power bathroom before after

And touches of black in the wall hooks, cabinet handles and mirror help ground the space and carry your eye around the room.

paint is power bathroom before after

There's also a shower (tucked behind the entry door) which we transformed too. Find photos of the whole room over on my blog here.

This was such a rewarding makeover. Although it's often tempting to rip everything out and start from scratch, there's just something so satisfying about making the most of what you already have.

And there's no denying the AMAZING power of paint!

paint is power bathroom before after

I hope you like this transformation and that it helps inspire!

Visit my blog post (link below) for further information and to see all of the before and after photos.

Kristine | The Painted Hive

• Nomsa Dube from S.A

Can I paint my cast iron bath

• Fly

I have refinished a cast iron tub-inside and out. The inside is a lot of work, needs lots of flowing exterior air because the fumes ar , and last about ten to fifteen years. The legs we spray painted white and the exterior of the tub we also spray points and then put three coats of satin poly on. It has been in my master bedroom for 17 years. I need to redo the inside of the tub as the finish starting coming up in a couple of spots a few years ago. All in all, It was a lot of work, but I don't regret one minute of that work.

• Pat Shavet

Can you tell me the gray color please? Thank you,

• Gretchen

Did you replace the vanity countertop or did you paint it? It looks like cultured marble instead of laminate now. Looks great!

• Gretchen

Thank you. Ah, the countertop was sprayed and then you added the vessel/top mounted sink! I was looking at the sink and wondering about the cultured marble!