Paint is Power! Bathroom Before & After

$1500
2 Weeks

When you have a limited budget, a perfectly fine (yet hideously ugly!) bathroom, and a slightly bizarre penchant for paint, this is what can happen.

Note: This makeover has been summarised slightly for HomeTalk. Find my full project, including all of the photos, here on my blog.

paint is power bathroom before after

This is the master bathroom at my parent's house. A few months back they decided the sea of mushroom beige (circa 1992) needed to go.

paint is power bathroom before after
paint is power bathroom before after

I must admit, with soooo much to change, it was hard to know where to start. Though it wasn't hard to know that paint would be a major player!

paint is power bathroom before after

Taking my parent's fondness for blue and white as our cue, we decided to begin by transforming the old vinyl floor.

We used a tile stencil from Etsy and chalk paint which we sealed with several coats of non-yellowing floor-grade poly.

paint is power bathroom before after

Thankfully it turned out great and became a perfect platform to build the 'new' room around.

paint is power bathroom before after

The tiles, vanity, trim and ceiling were all freshly finished in white to brighten the room, whilst the walls were dressed in warm grey for a soft contrast. The tub surround was painted navy to echo the floor.

paint is power bathroom before after

In stark contrast to the liberal application of paint, the wall cabinet doors were stripped back and left natural to help add warmth and interest.

paint is power bathroom before after

To compliment the navy and reference the warm wood, we added new gold tapware and sconces.

There's just something so lovely about navy and gold!

paint is power bathroom before after

And touches of black in the wall hooks, cabinet handles and mirror help ground the space and carry your eye around the room.

paint is power bathroom before after

There's also a shower (tucked behind the entry door) which we transformed too. Find photos of the whole room over on my blog here.

This was such a rewarding makeover. Although it's often tempting to rip everything out and start from scratch, there's just something so satisfying about making the most of what you already have.

And there's no denying the AMAZING power of paint!

paint is power bathroom before after

I hope you like this transformation and that it helps inspire!

Visit my blog post (link below) for further information and to see all of the before and after photos.

Kristine | The Painted Hive

• Cristi

How did you do the sink? Just found one bigger than your existing one?

• Mario

how bad was the smell of the epoxy paint for the tiles, and how well does it hold up to water

• The smell isn't great though it's quite bearable. Apparently the paint doesn't hold up well to pooling water though it's been great on the wall tiles.

• Heje

Have you thought about? The eye tends to do down rather than up - a navy stripe or something is needed to pull the view from the floor. I like the soap sign better than the portrait which needs something to go with it. Otherwise it looks fresh and clean, good work!