Instant Mudroom When There Isn't a Dedicated Room...

In our house, we didn't have a room for a "mudroom". But I can show how we added one anyway. As you walked in our front door, we had kind of a long foyer that really wasn't used for any practical purposes. I always thought of it as wasted space. I know most mud rooms aren't as soon as you walk in the front door, but this works for us. Because this room doesn't have any windows and is long and narrow, it is really hard to photograph it.
Chalkboard Mud Room Bench
The back has been painted with chalkboard paint so we can write reminders for tests, school supplies and just words of encouragement. The numbered bins below hold socks. Each child has a number. It really seems to have made life easier to have the socks and shoes by the front door. The baskets hold extra backpacks and bags and shoes.
I started with a tv bench from the scratch and dent room at Ikea. I added a longer board on top that completely covered the damage on the bench. It also extended the length of the bench to cover the entire wall. When I brought it home, there were shelves where I have the numbered boxes. I removed them and used one, turned on its side, as the leg/support at the other end of the bench.
I spaced out how many lockers and added 1 by 4's going up the wall. This wall is set back about 4 inches and I used that to recess the bench and to add supports for the top shelf.
I added more boards to frame out the lockers. The fact that this wall is recessed, really helped with this project. As you can tell, we began using it right away!
I added small boards across each locker for the coat hook.
My favorite part is the top. You can decorate it (as it is shown here) or above each locker is where each child keeps their text books. No more scrambling looking for a text book on the mad dash out the door because they are always right here organized by child.
#

• Mcgypsy9

I love this!!! You have no idea how long I have been wanting to get this done myself! I have the perfect space for it but so much going on in my life right now, I can barely think! AWEEEESOMEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Veralucia Santos

Ideias maravilhosas!