Asked on Feb 23, 2018

How to reupholster leather sofa with severe peeling of leather surface

Cindy K Emig-BroadwayMariannaMax P
+10

I have a pleather sofa and the pleather is peeling apart and looks horrible. My cat’s claws made small holes that turned huge damaged areas. I no longer want a leather sofa. I want a Beige fabric surface. Three seat cushions are sewn directly to the sofa. Three back pillows are sewn directly to the back of the sofa with a large button in the center of the pillow. The button is also sewn directly to the back of the sofa. Small bits of pleather keep peeling off of the sofa and litter the floor. Unsightly!
Seat cushions shed bits of pleather.

Very comfortable for naps.
I bought a leather repair kit that stopped damage from continuing and colored in the damaged areas. Looks awful.
  • Bobbi
    Bobbi

Had the same problem, go buy a real leather coach from lazy/boy, that's what we did and know more problems..:-)
  • Mamamia
    Mamamia

other than a professional repairing this, buy a sofa cover, Even real leather gets old, but they call it vintage.
  • Mik32196448
    Mik32196448

I have a Barcalounger, Briarwood, real leather chair, the cut put holes in it on the first day, leather is not necessarily "cat proof."
  • Michele
    Michele

Yup, sofa cover is quickest, least expensive fix...
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Check at thrift stores. You would be surprised at what you can find - particularly in bigger cities. Don't put too much money into the sofa reupholstering unless you are in love with the lies of the sofa.
  • Tina
    Tina

Cheapest option is to - sand off all the leather or you can take it out side and use a high pressure hose to take it off. Let it dry. Use chalk paint. Then use a wax paste see attachment. these chairs looked like your couch and now look.
    , Beautiful Painted with chalk paint, Using a high pressure washer To take off all bonded leather
    • SM
      SM

Hi Tina, your chairs look amazing...can you share a link for the chalk paint and the wax paste? Thanks

• Teresa
    Teresa

Call an upholstery shop

• Neva Dew
    Neva Dew

I haven't actually priced re-upholstery, but have been told it is cheaper just to buy a new chair or sofa.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

probably true. The cost is in the labor, and what type of new covering is chosen. If you want to recover in a fabric, the price should be less. You can remove the currant covering to use as your pattern for the new, add a few inches for wiggle room. Lable each piece as to where it goes on the couch. It’s more time consuming than hard.you may need a friend to help, a one with sewing skills.
  • Max P
    Max P

I'd personally consider changing from pleather to a fabric to keep costs down. Naturally you'll be able to save money if you do the work yourself, but this is all dependant on what you believe your skills to be. I'd also think about changing out your sofa cushions as they appear to have sagged quite badly.

• Marianna
    Marianna

Can you create a drawstring cover to cover the back pillows and seat pillows? Perhaps in an ultra suede or velour fabric, leaving the sides as leather....I am going to try this on my bonded leather couch - DON'T BUY BONDED LEATHER COUCHES OR MIXED SETS....STICK TO GENUINE LEATHER, IT LASTS FOREVER, OR AS LONG AS YOU WANT IT TO, UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO REPLACE! Cushion foam can be replaced for support, but BONDED LEATHER SUCKS!!

• Cindy K Emig-Broadway
    Cindy K Emig-Broadway

They make a very durable double side tape like binding. It is stronger than most glue. I would recommend the use of this in those areas that are unable to tack or sew. That’s about the best I can do for ideas other than possibly purchasing some thick foam and cutting it to fit possibly on seat allow to cover entire seat with one piece, although before going to far, I would check out it’s appearance because it may look bad if the three pleather sections make it obvious of the cover up. If that is the case I would then cut it into 3 sections then covering with pillow like material then make it look as if it is a very overstuffed cushion then cover with the material you plan to use. I would not make it a permanent setting if using such a light color, but using a spray adhesive around edges that are unseen so cushions do not come off every time someone sits on it. I would do the same for top cushions attempting to make pleather look like it was the base of sofa. After completion my other decor around it would be a boat or ship like Knick knack things, such as decorated ores, fishnet like used on large yachts or ships! These are just a few ideas, I would even have some ceiling fan blades made to look like ores maybe using some similar pleather material for throw pillows. If done right it could blend together and look like it was purchased that way.