James
James
  • United Kingdom

Transforming a Old Kitchen Table Into a Smart Hallway Table

$0

I was planning to buy a hallway table for my home, but then a friend asked if I would help him to move some furniture and guess what? He had an old kitchen table and chairs he was going to dump.
I asked if I could have them....... And he said YES .Yipeeeeee
transforming a old kitchen table into a smart hallway table
So.... Here it is in my kitchen / work shop ( the wife was out so I can include workshop, jus as long as it's all cleaned up by the time she gets home)
I got my battery circular saw out and cut a narrow strip off.
I didnt want it to wide as the hallway is not very wide, the saw cut most of it, just had to use a hand saw on a couple of the underneath pieces.
Once I cut it to size I sanded it a bit with 120 grade sand paper to give the paint something to hold onto.
Then I gave the legs two coats of undercoat and one coat of top coat.Dulux white satin finish.
Then lent it up against the wall/ window and painted the top.
The paint I used for the top is made by a Company called BEDEC in the UK it's a brilliant paint, you don't need any primer or undercoat and you can use it on just about anything.
I then found two old purple bedside lights that I know where in the back of my garage some place and painted them black with the same paint as the top. The paint can go on: wood melamine plastics radiators MDF (do you have that in the states?) Lead masonry tiles plaster metals fiberglass and more phew?!?
Such a versitile paint.
First I tested the paint on a small section of the lampshade, then painted them both in the same black paint as the top of the table.
They turned out really well seeing the had been suck in the back of the garage for the pass 5 years.
Then once all the paint was dry I put it in the hallway with a few bits I had around the house, turned on the lights, and to my suprising they still worked. And I was sooooo pleased with how it turned out.what do you think?
Wow... How cool is that, AND it didnt cost me a penny.
Now the hallway feels complete.It looks and feels very classy.
Now, here's a question for you.. what can I do with the other half of the table I have left over.... And the 4 chairs?

• Jonalee Hoffman

Did you secure it to the wall seeing as how it only has 2 fro t legs.

• Barbara Lopez

YOU DIDN'T MENTION HOW YOU ATTACHED IT TO THE WALL. hOW DID YOU ATTACH IT TO THE WALL?

• Barbara Lopez

Yes I would try this looks great need to know how it's attached to the wall? You should cover the cords with something or slide a matching short bench underneath the it. GREAT JOB

• Nancy stouffer

Yes i love it but i think i would put electric up closer to the table so you could not see the cords. And the color black i just love it.

• James

Thank you.

• Theresa Zeth

James sometimes this site is hard to follow questions and answers...

Your project is BEAUTIFUL!

You can send the other half of the table to me! Lol

Many on here have ask how you secure this to the wall!

Great idea and Thank you for sharing!