Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Industrial Sofa Table

$85

I moved my furniture around in my family room and placed my sofa so it’s back was facing our kitchen. I needed a table to put behind the sofa and was inspired by a table I saw on Wayfair. I wanted an industrial look but I wanted to make it out of wood and just add metal accents.

I also found a table on Shanty to Chic so I combined those two tables to make exactly what I was looking for.

industrial sofa table

So I went to my favorite store - Lowe’s and to my favorite aisle - Lumber! I bought 9, 2” x 4” x 8’ for the legs and the fronts of the shelves, and 3, 1” x 12” x 8’ for the shelves.

industrial sofa table

I began by measuring my 2” x 4”s. I wanted the table to be as high as my sofa which is 34” but the wheels that I bought were 4” high so I cut 6 boards 30” for the legs.

industrial sofa table

For each shelf, pocket holes must be drilled to join the boards securely together. They are marked by the black dots.

As you see in this picture, two 2” x 4” x 32-3/4” boards were laid on either side of the 1” x 12”.

Leave a space in between the boards where the middle leg will fit. On either end, there is a space where the outer legs will fit.

industrial sofa table

I also cut 12, 2” x 4”, 32-3/4” for the sides of my shelves.

While I was cutting, I cut my 1” x 12” x 8’ into 70“ pieces for three shelves. The table would be 70” in length which is a little bit longer than my sofa.

industrial sofa table

To do this, I used a Kreg Jig.

A-I marked the holes

B-Placed the jig on to mark and clamped it to the board

C-Drilled the hole

D-Completed hole

E-And screwed the boards together.

industrial sofa table

Once the table was assembled, I sanded it. After sanding, I wiped the entire table with a damp cloth and allowed it to dry.

While it was drying, I added the wheels to the bottom.

industrial sofa table

Once the boards were assembled, it was time to put the table together. I began by laying there of the legs onto my worksurface. I then laid the bottom shelf aligning the boards to the legs.

Using the pocket holes that I made, I screwed the legs into the shelf.

industrial sofa table

While the table dried, I spray painted these corner brackets black. This is exactly what I wanted to give me table that accent of metal.

industrial sofa table

I stained the table using Rustoeum stain in Gray. I applied the stain and then wiped away the excess.

Once the stain was dry, I used Valspar Sealing Wax. I applied it with a brush and wiped away the excess.

I allowed the table to dry an hour.

industrial sofa table

Here is my finished table. I love everything about it and it’s perfect for my space. The corner brackets and the wheels add that touch of industrial and the gray stain looks great. Now my husband wants me to make a matching end table. Look for that post soon - lol.

industrial sofa table

Once the table and the brackets were dry, I screwed the brackets to the four corners of the table. I left the screws silver which I think really shows them off for that industrial feel.

• Frank Hartwick

nice job,but were did you get the neat corner brackets.i looked through the 10 pages of brackets on your amazon site recommendation i could not find that corner bracket,can you list a part # thanks
    • Alicia W

I purchased them at Home Depot. There are in the decking section.