Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Modern Industrial Office Shelving IKEA HYLLIS Hack

$60
1 Week

I completed modern industrial shelving for my husband’s home office makeover using cheap steal shelves from IKEA and 1 x 12" boards.
modern industrial office shelving ikea hyllis hack
The first thing I did was assemble the IKEA HYLLIS steel shelves. I got two of them on sale for $10 each!
Next, my husband and I cut the lumber to length on my table saw. I bought 8' long pine 1 x 12's and cut them to 7' long. You could make them any length you want, I just thought 7' long would provide enough strength to the middle of the shelves while maximizing length.
I also cut the lumber length wise to make it skinny enough to fit between the steel IKEA shelves. I think I trimmed it to 10.5" wide.
Now, using a marker, I measured where I needed to make cuts to fit between the steel shelving. The IKEA HYLLIS steel shelving unit has legs that form an L shape. Making this slit allowed for the legs to slide right in there and the boards to lay flat between the steel shelves. I did this for 3 of the 4 shelves since the top board didn't need any slits.
After sanding, I stained the pine boards with two coats of espresso stain. I also spray-painted the IKEA HYLLIS steel shelving units with Rust-Oleum's oil-rubbed bronze at this point.
Flipping the steel shelves upside down onto the top shelf board, I drilled pilot holes through the metal and into the wood shelf.
Then I put the shelves into the office and started assembly! I slid the long pine boards through the steel shelving until the slits I had measured matched up, then I wiggled the board down flat. It all held together very snug and made the structure quite sturdy.
Last, I made sure it was level and I screwed the shelves into the wall using drywall anchors. After some decor, these shelves were ready for use in the completed office makeover.
To see the breakdown of costs (it was only $60!) visit the blog post linked below and to see the time-lapse video tutorial, SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel!
Melissa Woods