Is safe to remove and replace particle board cabinet doors to paint?

+4
I have cheap particle board cabinets and doors are in bad shape - need paint. But afraid to unscrew the hinges for fear that the particle board will crumble. Suggestions?
q is safe to remove and replace particle board cabinet doors to paint
  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 25, 2018
    If they are in such a bad condition that unscrewing screws could cause them to crumble you should replace them.
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Feb 25, 2018
    If they are that delicate you might want to paint them without taking them off. That should be much easier since the doors don't have handles. Some people paint over the hinges, some paint around them with a small brush. Send us a photo when you get them done!
  • Rhonda Brooks Rhonda Brooks on Feb 25, 2018
    Yes
  • If they crumble, just purchase new doors.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Feb 25, 2018
    I would paint them in place if they are crumbling. I would LIGHLTY hand sand with a fine grit sandpaper, just over the spots that are peeling. If there are gouges, or the surface is uneven, you can apply a thin coat of wood filler. Then use a high-adhesion primer like Kilz or BIN.
  • Pat Russell Pat Russell on Feb 25, 2018
    I think she's worried about what the screws are screwed into, not the doors. Really, I would just try to sand a little by hand and paint them in place. Would take more than one coat, I'm sure, but worth a try.
  • William William on Feb 27, 2018
    It's safe to remove the hinges. They won't crumble. They have been on so long and you haven't had any problems with them crumbling from use. Would be fine to remove them.