Install a Water Garden in Your Small Yard

$700
1 Week
Advanced

You may remember the pond we installed in our backyard and the tutorial for a more elaborate water feature than we're showing today. This time, we're demonstrating how we installed a much simpler water garden in our small outdoor space.

Here's the blank slate we started with. If you are starting from scratch, be sure to check out our full tutorial to see how we dug out for the liner (the link is at the end of this post).
Before we could turn our attention to the pump and water feature, the electrical had to be hooked up. In our municipality, we're allowed to get our own permit for electrical work and then have it inspected by the city.

As hubs is experienced with electricity, we were able to do it ourselves, but it's best to call in an expert - especially when water is involved!

Here’s the electrical service to the pond Hubs installed before he finished the final connections.
The electrical conduit is quite ugly, so hubs built a wooden cover for it. He installed a water proof cover to protect the plug on the end of the electrical cord (which you can see two pictures down).
The electrical cover was something nice to look at until the grasses took over and grew around it. In the summer you can barely notice it as you can see below!
With the hard work out of the way, we moved on to a water fountain that we can easily drop into the pond. It provides a beautiful focal point in the centre.

To support the fountain, Hubs started with a milk crate. The milk crate is necessary to help lift the fountain head out of the water. In our pond, the liner is 2 feet deep and the crate adds just enough depth. You’ll need to work out how high your crate needs to be depending on the depth of the liner you install.

On the 'bottom' of the crate, hubs added stainless steel weights to keep the crate from floating. He used black plastic ties to secure the weights - wrapping them around and back through the holes of the crate.
He also used long cable ties to secure the pump to the top of the milk crate.
Here's a closer look from the top:
Below you can see the how the pump is attached with the cable ties from the underside of the crate:
Once everything is secure, it's just a matter of adding the fountain head onto the pump. The crate then gets lowered into the water in the centre of the pond and the power cord is plugged into the electrical outlet.
Turn on the pump and adjust the height of the water. Try not to have it splash outside of the pond or you will just have to keep refilling it!
Now the real fun begins with the plant materials! Surround the fountain with water lillies and a few tropical floating plants and you're good to go! In behind the pond we flanked either end with grasses and day lilies in the middle (which bloom in summer). You can also spy the hypertufa chair planter we made to fill in the space by our rock garden. It's filled with hardy succulents that survive the winter and come back each year!
Our pond gets direct sunlight so to prevent algae from forming, Hubs adds a special  blue pond dye to the water. It stains easily because it's very concentrated so he has to be careful he doesn't get any drips on the surrounding light coloured travertine patio stone! He also wears gloves when he applies it so it doesn't stain his hands.

The materials list and breakdown of the budget can be found on our website (link is below this post where you see our logo).
There's nothing more relaxing than the tranquil sound of a water garden in our little backyard oasis!

To complement the rest of the small garden, we often added more plant material in the form of container gardening. Last year, for instance, we upcycled a rusty fire pit as a base to display a vintage milk can planted with wave petunias:
There are tons more gardening ideas at Birdz of a Feather - such as how to trim and shape the Pom Pom Topiary shown below.
If you are REALLY ambitious, you can landscape your entire small garden with a dry creek bed and a rock garden. You'll find the tutorials for all those projects on our website.
Subscribe here on Hometalk and/or at Birdz of a Feather (link below this post) to see upcoming home and garden DIYs, crafts and more! You can also follow Birdz of a Feather on:

Pinterest: http://bit.ly/BirdzPIN
Facebook: http://bit.ly/BirdzFB
YouTube: http://bit.ly/BirdzYT
Instagram: http://bit.ly/BirdzIG 

• Pond Liner  (Pond supply store)
  • Pond Liner  (Pond supply store)
  • Fountain Head  (Pond supply store)

Birdz of a Feather

• Gina

I have a much bigger pond than this one and I have found over the years we have had the pond that you will need to have something like a a net that will reach the bottom to get out the stuff that dies off of the plants and since you are using live plants you need to use something to take the chemicals in city water that you put in your pond and when you add water when it looses water. After you get it all set up you will find it to be a on going job of fix up, fill up, add water, add chemicals, dieing plants and if you add fish you have to do even more work.

• Terri Boesch

You got that right Gina, I had a very large pond with a water fall many plants and large koi. During the summer I ran 2 pumps had 3 filters in my skimmer box and 3 filters in the falls box. And with lily plants you are always clipping and cleaning out dead stuff. Plus feeding piggy fish I loved it though I think I'm a little ocd after 24 years of pond stuff I got rid of everything. I hope the guy finally built his pond. It took 5 yards of dirt to fill that hole in I'm still trying to get grass to fill in.

• Donna

What is the name of the blue dye you use

• Don

How to make a fire pit in a round depression in back yard

• Birdz of a Feather

You have to check your local fire codes to see if they will allow one; not all municipalities can put in a fire pit.

• Shirley

Really a clever idea. Would have done this a couple of years ago...not so much now 😢

• Birdz of a Feather

Thanks Shirley! It's definitely physically exhausting. Many a night we could only muster the energy to pour a bowl of cereal for dinner!

• Kat Rogers

ABSOLUTELY FREAKING GORGEOUS AND OUTSTANDING WORK~ EVERYTHING YOU'VE SHOWN IS FABULOUS & I LOVE IT ALL!

So for me, All I Need To Start Is MY OWN HOUSE WITH A LOVELY SIZED YARD. *sigh*

Thank you for sharing all of your great ideas~ now I'm going to sign up for your blog!

• Robin

My stepsister won a house in a lottery system, on Long Island. I'm not sure how it works, but I believe it had some income limitations. Look up and search the internet, maybe you will qualify for one if that's what you want. It was newly built also. She had to live in it for 10 years, and it's been more than 15 years now & she still loves it.