What is the quickest, easiest way to get rid of mice in the house?

+7
Mice keep getting in my silverware drawer. At least once a week, I have to empty everything from the drawer, soak the items and tray in bleach water. This is horrible!!

• Find out where they are coming in! Call and get an estimate from a local exterminator and then heed their advice for blocking off. A good exterminator will provide a thorough examination, point out problem areas, suggest how to fix, (whether you do it yourself or hire them to do it), and what it would cost. Then decide how to proceed. I did it myself on my house, but on my mom's house it was more than I wanted to tackle myself, so I hired out and just wrote the check.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Feb 27, 2018
    Try filling small plastic containers with mothballs, poke holes in the tops and sides and put them in the cabinets and drawers..... then call an exterminator to help you get rid of the mice. HomeAdvisor.com or Angieslist.com can help you find verified ones.
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Feb 27, 2018
    Hi BB I've read that peppermint essential oil helps keep mice and insects away. Good luck!
  • Janice Janice on Feb 27, 2018
    Mousetraps laced with peanut butter in several areas will be the quickest. You can find them at Walmart, Target, pretty much anywhere. Here's an article from Goodhousekeeping Magazine that may help. Good Luck! . http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/a35872/how-to-get-rid-of-mice/

• Jan Loehr Jan Loehr on Feb 27, 2018
    You obviously have a point of entry somewhere in the vicinity of your kitchen I am assuming if you keep finding them in the silverware drawer....check under your sink cabinets...sometimes there are small openings where the pipes come in that were not sealed when they were installed...its a start...good luck!
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Feb 27, 2018
    I've heard the same. Put some peppermint essential oil on cotton balls, put the cotton ball in a small bottle cap and place it in your silverware drawer.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Feb 27, 2018
    get Great Stuff insulting foam At any hardware store or Amazon. It’s anti-vermin
    Start in your basement and look for any daylight coming thru even minute holes. This stuff expands in the hole/cracks. check and fill any and every tiny hole in basement ceiling. In the kitchen, particularly around the plumbing, and openings in the back of cabinets.
    Even the smallest hole around the exterior foundation should be filled too.
    Lastly, mouse traps for any who’ve managed to make themselves a comfy nest in your comfy nest. I’m sorry, but there is no easy way to get rid of mice. There’s just diligence. Supposedly mice hate mint and black pepper. You might make a sachet to put in the drawer or rub some mint oil on the back of the drawer.
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 27, 2018
    I feel every ounce of your pain and stress. They are miserable!
    We just went through the same mess and are finally in the tail end of this, I hope.
    You are lucky they are just in your silverware drawer, but I would have a strong suspicion they are elsewhere and you are underestimating the number of them as we did.
    We had to call in the extermination service as a last resort as our methods were not totally successful, but I can explain what this combined effort did.
    We started with the sticky cardboard and that caught a number of them, they have certain "routes" they take around your home...usually relating to a food supply, that is where we started, seeing droppings and chewed items, that was 1 #$%^ of a mess. The technician said all they need is food, not any water. The set spring traps were minimally successful, they ignored the DCon poison.
    Our house has a slab foundation, so the technician went around the outside of the house and sealed every crack, electrical wire entry place, under door/foundation areas, you name it, it got sealed. Once that was done, he investigated the inside and found places where there were possible entry points. He used the same spray foam, black in color, sorry I don't know the name of it. It comes in a can and that is attached to a trigger device with a extended nozzle to direction the expanding foam into crevices and cracks.
    This took several visits because we had found subsequent possible points of entry. You really have to have an objective eye. Don't be timid about calling them back.
    The black foam works by creating a physical barrier, when they try to chew through it hurts their faces.
    So good luck to you, get professional help if you think it is needed. Yes it costs money, but sometimes there are no other options.

• Gale Allen Jenness Gale Allen Jenness on Feb 27, 2018
    can’t say I had mice getting in my silverware drawer, but I did have quite the war with mice in a house I use to live in. Mainly due to the House next to mine was a rat/mice infested dump that should of been condemned. But as that may be, dealing with the mice was more difficult than I ever imagined! I think those little burgers are getting smarter! I bought every mouse trap on the market that I could find, followed the directions to a tee! Dang mice still take the bait and not set off the traps! So I tried modifying the traps and make them more sensitive where the traps would trigger easier. Still no luck! Tried peanut butter that was suggested! Nope, cleaned the trap slick as a whistle and never set the trap off! I swear those mice were hiding just out of my sight laughing at me! But this was personal now and I was going to war on these dang mice! I tried sowing a jelly bean to the trap! Nope, chewed thru the tread and stoked my dang jelly bean still never set the trap off! So had to come up with another idea to keep the jelly bean on the trap that they couldn’t chew off? Then it hit me! Why not super glue the jelly bean to the trap? Worked like a charm! Finally out smarted those pesky little burgers and started catching mice left and right! They weren’t laughing at me any more! LOL finally got ride of my mouse problem in a couple weeks at most! Keep the traps set up though since my neighbor‘s house had mice/rats everywhere! I could see them climbing out the drain vent pipes on the roof every so often and run around and back down the pipe they go! I was so glad when the owner of the house died that rented out the place to less then desirable neighbors being on descent person would never live there! After he died the property was sold and the house torn down and turned into a parking lot. Should of seen all the mice scatter when the place was torn down though! Unbelievable! Anyway, try super gluing a jelly bean to any old mouse trap! Does work surprisingly well! LOL
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell Kelly Denoyer Russell on Feb 28, 2018
    They are in your kitchen so thats probably the location of entry. However look for droppings all over your house to make sure. They only need a dime sized hole in foundation to get in. Often finding and plugging that hole can be difficult. Steel wool works tho around pipes etc. Generally under the sink near pipes is the prime spot. Snap traps, blob of peanut butter and I sweeten the deal with a chocolate chip on top. Just get the plain little wooden traps. They are inexpensive. If emptying them creeps you out then toss them. I have my husband deal with the emptying part. Put along the perimeter. Mice run along the walls. Put them where you are seeing droppings. If you need to empty your silverware drawer and put traps there too But also where they are getting in BEFORE your drawer. Leave silverware on counter until you have empty traps for a few days. If you have a big issue you can buy plastic bait boxes and bait. We bait in our garage. That poisons them and they die outside before getting in. Poison in the House works but they die in walls and it can be smelly for awhile. Always be proactive before it gets cold outside. Mine try to get in during the fall here in Michigan. I usually take a few out and that’s the end of it but I get them before they move in to stay and have babies. Not a fan of glue boards. They can get free from them. Sincerely, the wife of a pest control owner 😊