How to Fake a Faux Barn Door Headboard!

$35

I don't think my shoes even hit the pavement as I bolted for my truck. My friend called alerting me to a neighbouring barn coming down the next day, and to get over there pronto if I desired any wood!

Well... turns out the wood I wanted was still attached to a ceiling. Yikes.

That's when another friend offered to take some down for me. Boy, do I know how to select great friends, huh?

The next day I stacked my chippy barn wood windfall up against the back of the house, and then it became clear... that wood would make a GREAT headboard... but maybe to look like a barn door!

But with no barn door hardware in sight, I knew I had to fake this one good.

A few rusty junk finds later, this was the result!

Does this faker faux fool you?

What. A. Haul! These are the planks I brought home from the big barn wood hoist! Aren't they gorgeous?

However seeing them stacked vertically gave me the idea of something tall... like a really BIG barn door... that could be a headboard. How cool!

Let's see if I can make this vision work, I mused...

I first cleaned the boards and treated them so they wouldn't chip any longer and would be safe to use with a product called Tough Coat.

Read more about prepping the boards through my blog post link below.

After measuring and cutting each plank to the desired length, I screwed the planks to the wall.

Next up, I gathered up all kinds of rusty junk from my stash to figure out some random barn door looking hardware. Two big 'ol antique casters provided the perfect start!

Things were looking so good! However now I desired to punch up the pillows and bedding to chime in well with the chippy headboard wood.

Creating a Bed & Breakfast pillow in black and white was the perfect final cozy touch!

How to stencil pillow covers:

• Insert cardboard inside an Ikea Gurli 20" white pillow cover to avoid paint bleed.
  • Position stencil, then tap paint onto fabric.

Source: Bed & Breakfast can be found at Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils under the Getaway Collection HERE

And since that headboard turned out so cool, I decided to make an equally cool matching mirror out of the leftover wood... super easy fix for any plain mirror!

See the mirror HERE

And here is the faux barn wood door headboard result! Does it fool you too?

My kinda Bed & Breakfast! I take cream in my coffee please...

Read the original blog post HERE that leads to the barn wood hunt, more on prepping the wood for safety, and many other details not shared in this post.

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Jane Doe

Is that a bird nest on the right end?

• RC Leach

You said you r friend got it from the ceiling of a barn being torn down. That makes it barn wood, yet in the last picture caption, you call it faux barn wood?

• Paula

Why have the rollers at the top is there a window being it

• Tracy Floer

Awesome!!!!!!!!

• Kara

I live in a mobile home and the sliding doors that are in front of my washer & dryer are a thin metal. They have a wood board design and I want to paint them to look like a barn door but wondered what to do about the top attachment... now I know whooohooo. The walls in here wouldn't support a regular hanging door so this will be perfect to my fake doors. Thank you and I love your headboard.