How to Add Farmhouse Cabinet Trim - $15 Character Add to Kitchen

$15

Hello!

If you are looking to add some character to your kitchen then this budget friendly Farmhouse Cabinet Trim will work perfect! Plus it only costs around $15 to make.

This was our kitchen way before our whole kitchen remodel.

This was our kitchen remodel but before adding the farmhouse cabinet trim.

I will not be providing cut lengths for this project due to the variations in cabinet sizes. However the width of the trim were all 3 inches wide except for the bottom pieces at 4 1/2 inches wide.  

For the cuts I started out by measuring and cutting the lengths of the 4 1/2 inch wide bottom pieces. I also had to use a jig saw (Rockwell Bladerunner) to cut out the space for the baseboard trim on two of the cabinets. To do this I happen to have a piece of baseboard trim that I used to trace. Then I measured and cut the 3 inch top pieces.

Once I had the top and bottom pieces cut I dry fit them in place (use a clamp if necessary).

I repeated this for each cabinet.

Next I sanded the long sides of all the pieces to soften the edges.

Using a small paint brush for the edges and a roller for the top I added a couple coats of primer and a couple coats of paint and allowed them to dry. 

I measured the lengths on both sides where the side trim would go. Then I cut the 3 inch wide side pieces to length and dry fit those in place.

I didn't use any glue as I figured if a future homeowner decides they want to change these out it is much easier without the glue.

Once all the frames were attached the cross pieces could be traced and cut. I wish I could give you a simple fool proof method for cutting the corners of these cross pieces but from my research I wasn't able to find any. What I did was measure and cut a piece longer than I needed to make room for errors. 

Then making sure each end intersects the corners place the board over the corner and trace your corner cuts.

You can use a jig saw for this but I used a miter saw and that worked well. Then to make life easier the first cross piece I made I dry fit it for another cabinet and made adjustments as needed. I repeated this for all four cabinets, sanded the long edges, primed, painted and installed with a pin nailer.

*Note before installing the first cross piece I dry fit it where the second cross piece would go. Then I traced the corner to save time later with my cuts

Next I attached the trim to the cabinet with a pin nailer and 1/2 inch 23G pin nails.

I marked center on the first cross piece of the cabinet, using a scrap piece of wood I created a line crossing center going in the direction of the second cross piece trim. 

I made my second cross piece corner cuts by tracing the corner cuts from the first diagonal cuts.

I cut the opposite ends of the corners (where it meets the other cross piece) with my miter saw angle about 22-25 degrees. Leaving a little bit longer length for proper fitting to butt up against the first cross trim piece. Putting the two pieces edge to edge I measured the middle down the length of the board on the second cross pieces and marked with a line. 

Next I lined up the center of the cross piece with the intersecting line and traced with a pencil where to cut of the excess trim. I repeated this for each cabinet and second cross trim piece and checked each piece with dry fitting it first. 

Then I sanded, primed and nailed as before.

Then I sanded, primed, painted and nailed as before. 

For the final step I added wood filler to all of the nail holes and caulk to all of the edges. This pic is before caulk and wood filler.

I used the end of a paper clip to smooth out the caulk in the tight corners. It is amazing how wood filler and caulk fixes imperfections.

I touched up all the caulk and wood filler with paint as well. 

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

• Suzanne
    Suzanne

Different windows, floor, stove, counters?

• Candice Torongeau
      Candice Torongeau

Is the island free floating? I like the idea of being able to move it around if necessary or for a different design

• Lori
    Lori

I tried to read all the questions so as not to repeat - is it rude to ask ABOUT how much the original remodel cost? It looks beautiful and your kitchen is almost identical to mine. We are planning a similar remodel (with a floating island, raised ceiling, new lights, counters, cabinets, and some appliances) and it would help to have an idea. You did a lovely job!

• Thanks Lori!

It cost around $15K for the remodel and that included new appliances. We were able to save a couple grand on the cabinets by going with Cabinets to Go, which you have to assemble and install the cabinets yourself.

• Alicia McLane
    Alicia McLane

I would like to do this but did you replace the doors and drawers? I was thinking that you layered it with the new wood???

• Linda
      Linda

Everything is brand new. The title of the post is a little misleading. It looks great, though, and at $15,000 pretty inexpensive.

• Kelly
    Kelly

Beautiful! I will be saving this one for sure and showing my mom! She wants to paint her kitchen cabinets white as well but this will add just the perfect touch!

• Jane Moreau
    Jane Moreau

It looks good without the farmhouse extra.