Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Teal and Coral Wooden Crate Storage Cubbies - Shabby Chic

$60

I love my wooden crates. I am constantly creating new ways to use them all over my house. I plan to use these in my daughter’s room in lieu of a dresser. She hates dressers and the drawers become a catch all for everything when it is time to clean her room. Right now she has been trying to use a bookcase and it just hasn’t been working for either of us. So, one day I stood in her room and brainstormed up this idea. It is the convenience of a bookcase and yet it can be kept more organized and neater in these cubbies. Hopefully, this solution will work for both of us.
teal and coral wooden crate storage cubbies
I began priming my crates but this might be unnecessary with Debi’s Design Diary DIY paint.
I painted two Bohemian Blue And two Cowgirl Coral.
While I was painting, it all fell apart. As in the crate fell apart. When two slats fell off I realized that it looked like a cubby. So, I proceeded to remove two slats from each crate.
All painted with two slats removed from each.
Here I added water to a coral paintbrush and lightly painted over the Bohemian Blue.
I bought some cup pulls to comple the look.
Depending on the length of the bolt, you might need to swap the bolts for some shorter ones.
I was able to find the perfect size at Walmart.
Once I had holes for the first drawer pull, I created a template to use for all the other holes ensuring they would match all the way down my unit.
We have found that we like using it in the foyer to store the kids' shoes. Everyone has their own cubby. I even throw other possessions left around the house in here when cleaning. If they are missing something, they go check their cubby.
But when you walk in the front door, it is kind of blah...
I decided that maybe these fabric adhesive sheets might be just the ticket to add some interest to my wood crates.
They are super easy to use. Just peel off the back like contact paper. These sheets are also super forgiving. Put it on wrong, peel it off and try again. But a word of caution, if you tug or pull hard, the fabric stretches easily and you will no longer be working with a perfect rectangle.
This is my favorite pattern from the Vintage Romance package.
It gives a vintage feel to these rather plain looking crates.
I have a tendency to like to change things up a lot. So, here is one look using those same crates... Coral on top and blue on the bottom...
And then I mixed them up again! Endless ways to use and decorate with crates.
Quick little video to show an alternative version of crate storage.

• Barbara

What were the drawer pulls for? Decoration?

• Barbara

Thank you. Thought as much. Very cute as well as functional

• Brenda Hardy

Where can you find wooden crates

• Aida

Craft stores have them ac moore. Joann fabrics. But can get them for free at my neighborhood supermarket they throw them out

• Vicki

I am wondering if this can be done over a lament counter top...the floor looks fantastic...love it

• Alberta

This would even work for the garage

• Marge

Wonderful idea, well executed! Thank you for sharing. Marge, Cochran, Ga.