How can I get my husband motivated to try DIY projects?

+13
Any DIY projects...lol

• Cindy Cindy on Feb 27, 2018
    Hi Maggie, I believe the old saying is true: the best way to get to a man's heart is thru his stomach. Promise to make or give him something that you know he likes. Start small. Who knows. He might even enjoy himself.
  • Fix It Jen Fix It Jen on Feb 27, 2018
    Start with his okay for YOU to do them. Soon he'll see your success and want to help!
  • Janice Janice on Feb 27, 2018
    Yes, maybe start with a very small, easy to do project and help him with it. Tell his friends and family what a great job he did (in his presence) and he'll know how much you appreciate his work. He'll build confidence in his abilities once he gets started. You could have great fun doing the projects together. Good Luck & Enjoy!
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 28, 2018
    Give him a job that is very easy to do and will get him good comments.
    • Maggie Martin Maggie Martin on Feb 28, 2018
      Thanks to all for all the wonderful suggestions! I’ll let you know how all this works out!
  • Christy Christy on Feb 28, 2018
    I would start doing things yourself & once you get things progressing, ask for his "guidance" with certain things - that way, things will start getting done AND you'll be able to spend time doing something together.
  • JudyH JudyH on Feb 28, 2018
    Go buy a lot of BIG dangerous tools - I thinking table saws, etc. Choose ones he knows you don't have a clue how to use. Decide on a project, buy your materials, then bumble around setting up your tools. Be sure he knows what you are doing ... flounder around getting them out of the boxes. Some well placed grunts help. If he thinks you are probably going to cut your arm off before lunchtime, he will probably jump in and help. If that doesn't work, start reading the manuals that came with your shiny new toys, honey, 'cause he is hopeless and you are on your own!
  • Janet Panos Janet Panos on Feb 28, 2018
    How about you start a simple project and then somewhere along the way you ask for his help to get him involved. You could work on something that might be of use to him or something he may have wanted for a while. This might peak his interest. Good luck!
  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Feb 28, 2018
    Get him involved at a early level by asking him to help with interpreting directions. When he does, load on the praise for all he does.
    Everyone loves to feel needed and appreciated. Positive reinforcement.
  • Emily Emily on Feb 28, 2018
    When I first saw this question, what popped into my head was "how can I get my husband interested in opera?" My husband is an avid DIYer (artist/sculptor) but he is definitely not a person who wants anyone else working on a project with him! He will give me advice on things, but he will not work on things together. People are just different. I would ask you . . . why exactly should your husband be interested in DIY? My husband for instance will never play board games or cards. Should I expect him to do that because I like them?
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Feb 28, 2018
    Maybe find something simple yippy two can do together. Ask him for help with a project yippy are working on to get him involved. Good luck ! If its not something he's interested in you can't make him want to.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 01, 2018
    My pleasure ........
  • Andra Andra on Apr 15, 2018
    Just tell him how cute Carter Oosterhouse is and maybe he'll get jealous and consider a project so he'll think he's competing with him! ;D