Bicycle Wheel Yard Art

$3

I saw my first bicycle wheel yard art a few years ago but couldn't find a how-to. My husband loves bikes so was onboard for this project and figured it out. It's actually pretty easy and inexpensive.
bicycle wheel yard art
Recently we put a bunch up on the fencing.

And yes, they all spin! For this fencing version I've been considering painting a stem and leaves on the fence .
bicycle wheel yard art
Here we put a trio up against the house . ..
bicycle wheel yard art
They really do kinda look like flowers so we put the next grouping out in the yard in an area we were working on. ...
bicycle wheel yard art
Once you gather some old bike rims you need to loosen the bolts on the axle. The image above on the left is how a bike rim axle normally looks and the image on the right the axle has been threaded through so it extends out on one side. Both sides require their bolts be put back on.
bicycle wheel yard art
Wipe the bike rim down completely with mineral spirits so your paint will stick.
bicycle wheel yard art
This is the fun part- choose your spray paint colors. I love the new colors Rustoleum makes!
bicycle wheel yard art
Put down cardboard or something and spray the wheel on both sides and edges.
bicycle wheel yard art
Buy a few rods of electrical metal conduit at your local hardware store. One for each wheel.
The image on the left is how it comes new.
The image on the right is what you end up with after the steps shown below...
bicycle wheel yard art
Hammer one end of the metal conduit to flatten it.
bicycle wheel yard art
Use a Dremel on the flattened end to cut a wedge out. You'll be attaching the wheel here.

Wear goggles!
bicycle wheel yard art
Tighten the bolt onto the axle with the metal conduit in place.
bicycle wheel yard art
If you're putting the wheels with poles into the ground you'll need to dig some holes for them. Using a post hole digger is the easiest way to make small holes.
bicycle wheel yard art
We had leftover pieces of PVC pipe so that's what we put into the ground. I think ours were about 18 inches or so in length. Once you've dug deep enough for yours drop it in, replace the dirt around the PVC pipe and drop your metal pipes into the PVC pipes. This holds them firmly in the ground but also allows you..or the wind...to swivel them around.
Error loading player:
No playable sources found
If you're attaching bicycle wheel yard art to a fence it's even easier because all you need to do is drill a hole through the fencing, slide the axle through and bolt it on the other side.

It really brings some fun color to our yard!

It will cost you about $3 each in materials for the ones on rods and only the cost of spray paint for the ones on the fencing.

• Nancy Moody

How did you accumulate all those rims? I want to make these and haven’t found one rim😪

• Kelly-n-Tony

Check on Craigslist or your local Facebook buy/sell groups for free ones or junk shops, etc.

• Chantel Bauer- DeBord

Love it but did u ever think about painting them white placing lighys and hanging them from a tree or plaing loghts around them so at night they would be even more cute..just a suggestion

• Denise

Do you seal them last? I have a pallet fence each a different color, the wheels are easy to find, thank you for the great idea!

• Kelly-n-Tony

We haven't needed to seal them as the Rustoleum paint adheres well once you use mineral spirits to be sure all grease and grime is removed.

• Lovesunique

They do look like flowers and I like that they spin. The conduit could be painted green and paint the center yellow. I really like what you created!

• Michael

I had a couple dozen bike wheels wish I would have seen t his sooner